• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Maybe I should scrap it all.
    You'll almost certainly have urgent need of it within days if you do. Safest not to dispose of anything just in case

Comment

Sardines-in-tomato-sauce toasties for lunch

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Code:
        ogr2ogr -f GeoJSON rutland.json "PG:host=<database server> dbname=<database name> user=<user> password=<password>" \
          -sql "select way, name from planet_osm_polygon where name='<administrative area I want the boundary and name of in the output, e.g. Rutland>'"
        FFS. Everything was translated 20.58 km (12.79 mi) north of where it should be

Turns out I needed

Code:
        ogr2ogr -f GeoJSON rutland.json "PG:host=<database server> dbname=<database name> user=<user> password=<password>" \
          -sql "select st_transform(way, 4326), name from planet_osm_polygon where name='<administrative area I want the boundary and name of in the output, e.g. Rutland>'"
        as otherwise something weird was going on with converting the values to latitude/longitude

Comment

You'll almost certainly have urgent need of it within days if you do. Safest not to dispose of anything just in case
          <listens to the gentle creaking as the house slowly collapses>

In other news I've filled two green bags ready to take more garden waste down the dump tomorrow.

Also hacked the raspberry canes down since there's little or no chance of removing the accursed honeyfeckingsuckle any other way. :

It's still vaguely sunny and it was quite pleasant out there this afternoon.

Tea is about to be the last of the roast chicken thighs and sausages from Sunday.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Good luck! <- manly
            What NF said (my hug would be less manly on account of not being at all manly)

Comment

Well my user story writing has gone well! Several placeholders for defining things like reports and KPI thresholds and blah.

Every time I walk away from it (to make a cuppa, have a snack, put the washing on, put the washing out etc) I think of a new requirement or a better way to rewrite an existing one. Will it ever be finished? Oh no, of course not, it's an agile project!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                Well my user story writing has gone well! Several placeholders for defining things like reports and KPI thresholds and blah.

Every time I walk away from it (to make a cuppa, have a snack, put the washing on, put the washing out etc) I think of a new requirement or a better way to rewrite an existing one. Will it ever be finished? Oh no, of course not, it's an agile project!
                These web map use cases and requirements need writing, if you fancy a change and want to do them for me

One thing I'm noticing is that the documentation for all these different mapping libraries tends to be really bad from the point of view of "I want to do <thing>" - you have to dig around through API documentation working out how to fit things together, or try to decipher some over-complicated example where they apparently decided that chucking in a bunch of other aspects of the thing that aren't relevant would make it more fun for them.

I'm seriously thinking about writing some easy-to-follow guides for some of them, based on actual use cases like "I want to show this GeoJSON file as a polygon with semi-opaque grey fill and a blue border" and seeing if there's a market for them as ebooks or some such. Nobody else seems to have done much along those lines for several of these libraries, and it only needs comparatively few people willing to spend a tenner before it starts to add up

Comment

These web map use cases and requirements need writing, if you fancy a change and want to do them for me

One thing I'm noticing is that the documentation for all these different mapping libraries tends to be really bad from the point of view of "I want to do <thing>" - you have to dig around through API documentation working out how to fit things together, or try to decipher some over-complicated example where they apparently decided that chucking in a bunch of other aspects of the thing that aren't relevant would make it more fun for them.

I'm seriously thinking about writing some easy-to-follow guides for some of them, based on actual use cases like "I want to show this GeoJSON file as a polygon with semi-opaque grey fill and a blue border" and seeing if there's a market for them as ebooks or some such. Nobody else seems to have done much along those lines for several of these libraries, and it only needs comparatively few people willing to spend a tenner before it starts to add up
                  Much prefer writing user guides than user requirements

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                    Tea is about to be the last of the roast chicken thighs and sausages from Sunday.
                    And thusly it transpired.

It was nice enough though glad to see the end of it.

Followed by ground rice and 1.05 pints of Good Glengettie Tea.

The evening's entertainment began with "Jeremiah: Out of the Ashes" being the tale of a "librarian" who can't read but protects books in a library in Denver.

It was vaguely amusing.

"Jeremiah" Out of the Ashes (TV Episode 2002) - IMDb

Followed by "Jeremiah: A Means to an End".

"Jeremiah" A Means to an End (TV Episode 2002) - IMDb

Which was a bit more entertaining.

Now watching Yesterday "Underground Worlds" which is currently wittering on about server farms in what used to be nuclear bunkers.

Feck me, the Swedes took protecting their population from nuclear war a fecking sight more seriously than the UK did.
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 2 October 2019, 19:11.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Watched the second episode of Maps: Power, Plunder and Possession. This week it focussed on statistical maps, such as those used to track cholera outbreaks in London, identify communities for extermination in WWII, or highlight things like relative incomes. A little bit on the problems of the Mercator projection and how the Gall-Peters projection never really took off.

Very interesting stuff. Now trying to decide whether to watch episode 3 of Rise of the Nazis or episode 2 of Spotlight on the Troubles.

In other news, dinner was burnt. Flat smells horrible. That'll learn me to finish off a work email when it's close to dishing up time. (Except it won't, I regularly do something else while cooking dinner and end up with it ruined because I forget to keep an eye on it)

<small pause>

Decided to see what programmes I had on my Amazon Prime watch list and have picked The Fall with that lovely Gillian whatsername who used to be in The X-Files.
                      Last edited by ladymuck; 2 October 2019, 19:47.

Comment

Working...
                      X