• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

frankfurters and baked beans on brown toast for lunch.

with manly HP sauce.

and my colourfulness is fading fast.
    soon be back to tedious normal <although not so tedious as a bike called john>
    Last edited by BR14; 9 July 2019, 11:55.

Comment

More crawling under desk with vacuum cleaner(s) and one of those pickup claw things retrieving crap that's covered in spider's webs.

Spiders now upset, at least those that aren't gracing the accumulated crap in one or other of the vacs.

Strewth moving that fecking B40 is a work of art.

I'm sat down cooling off for a while after the exterme exertion of the last hour or so.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
        That was then, is now.

It's up on a cushion on a low stool, which seems to help a bit.

Since I retired I seem to be falling apart.

I suppose I'd better get on with doing more cleaning in The Office.

Assuming I can move enough stuff to actually see the floor.

Anyone want two racal RA17s?

Or a Murphy B40.

This last is 114lb so has resided on the floor ever since someone gave it to me.
        A bit of googling turned up this :

Originally posted by https://www.radiomuseum.co.uk/navy.html
        At sea weight was no object and radio sets were made from steel plate, unlike their aircraft counterparts, which were made from aluminium with lots of holes to further reduce weight. Army sets tended to be half-way between, using steel but usually of much lighter gauge.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          A bit of googling turned up this :
          It was built like a brick tuliphouse, allegedly so it would stay on frequency when the main guns fired (15" back then).

It's got A Real Man's wavechange switch which will break your wrist if you look at it wrong.

Each receiver was supplied with a free truss.

Now it's back to it to move more tulipe about in an attempt to clean more carpet.

Comment

Sausage and bacon wholemeal bap with red sauce for lunch

And before that, I was talking to my Mum on the phone, and mentioned looking at the NLS's old Ordnance Survey maps of where they live, and what was there before their house was built. She got me to go and have a look around the areas in Liverpool where we used to live, and then where she grew up (basically the same area, TBH).

Then she told me how once, when walking from Gateacre to Allerton with her own mum to visit her granddad, she suggested going down a path "between Allerton Tower and the convent [formerly Allerton Priory], down to the Black Gates" (the last being the name used locally for the path between the Tower and the golf course, from Allerton Road to Menlove Avenue) but her mum said no, they never went that way, and she mustn't go that way on her own.

This would have been not long before her mum died of cancer, but some years later when she was a bit older she found out why: some years before, the son of the wealthy shipowners who lived at Allerton Tower had got one of the maids pregnant, and the story was that the family had Done Away with the unfortunate girl

I don't think it was a full-on case of people believing that her spirit haunted the track, but working class Catholics know better than to take the chance of going down a shady path where such infamy is believed to have occurred, and that's why none of the locals ever walked down there, at least in those years.

I mean, the poor girl was probably sent away to work in a laundry in Skelmersdale or something, but you never know with these wealthy families. I wonder if there's anything to it?

Comment

Now it's back to it to move more tulipe about in an attempt to clean more carpet.
              More or less all the carpet in The Office has been vacced, apart from that under the legs of the desks.

I really can't be arsed to move the desks since they're full of crap & extremely heavy.

One of my cunning plans to reorganise stuff has come to naught but there you go.

Or, in this case, don't go.

I'm beginning to form the opinion that there's far too much crap in here.

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              I mean, the poor girl was probably sent away to work in a laundry in Skelmersdale or something, but you never know with these wealthy families. I wonder if there's anything to it?
              You just can't be too careful out there.

In other news, my foot is still giving me gyp.

In other other news I forgot to mention the remains of the jackdaw's nest in the firegrate.

I may have to get someone to put the chimney cowl things back on.

After the little darlings have flown away.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 9 July 2019, 15:46.

Comment

Ended up at Herstmonceux (pick your own spelling/pronunciation) Castle. The gardens were great. Worth a visit
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Got around to taking the boxes from the IKEA stuff down to the recycling bin earlier. Opened the back door: rain started

Naturally it stopped once I was done carting stuff outside

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    Got around to taking the boxes from the IKEA stuff down to the recycling bin earlier. Opened the back door: rain started

Naturally it stopped once I was done carting stuff outside
                    You are A Rain god.

Tea/dinner this evening was M&S breaded haddock.

It was very nice.

The reorganised office is a bit more usable other than all the desks being covered with crap and or pcs.

Which probably explains why I have to solder stuff on the kitchen worktop.

Comment

You are A Rain god.
                      I think the Rain God just likes winding me up

The reorganised office is a bit more usable other than all the desks being covered with crap and or pcs.

Which probably explains why I have to solder stuff on the kitchen worktop.
                      I keep looking at my newly tidy desks and marvelling, they're so out of character for me. I even started wondering if I might somehow be mutating into a tidy person

I daresay it'll all be back to the usual cluttered mess in a week or two, though

Comment

Working...
                      X