• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This evening's tea/dinner was M&S battered haddock.

I managed not to cook it to death so it was very nice.

This evening's kinema entertainment is "Jack's Return Home" with that Michael Caine Geezer, and shedloads of people off Z Cars & the like.

Jack's Return Home (1971) - IMDb

The other two easily reached copies turned out to be the Septic remake with Stallone, so I had to dismantle a pile to reach this one which turned out, rather inconveniently, to have the security thingie still in place, though that was easily removed with a screwdriver at some disadvantagge to the case.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 19 January 2019, 21:35.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

test please delete

Back in the 21st Century now [emoji4] (even if I’m in my C19 house)
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Tonight on Talking Pictures TV at 21:30 CORRECTION: 21:00 you can watch Royal Flash (1975). The opening scene is of Flashman speaking to the assembled pupils of Rugby School. But it was actually filmed at my school, and I'm one of the extras

Flashman is played by Malcolm McDowell, and Michael Hordern is the headmaster. And the Great Hall in which filming took place was destroyed by fire about five years later, so this is a rare opportunity to see what it used to be like.

The rest of the film is a bit rubbish as I recall (I haven't watched it in many years) so you can switch over once the speech day scene is finished
        First few minutes duly watched; not sure why, as I've got it on Blu-ray (never unwrapped). Weird to think that a scene lasting three or four minutes took an entire Sunday, from about eight in the morning to six at night, to shoot

This is what the hall looked like five years or so later:

Last edited by NickFitz; 18 January 2019, 21:11.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          This evening's kinema entertainment is "Jack's Welcome Home" with that Michael Caine Geezer, and shedloads of people off Z Cars & the like.

Jack's Welcome Home (1971) - IMDb
          And very good it was too, with a brief <hiatus> at 20:59 for

First few minutes duly watched; not sure why, as I've got it on Blu-ray (never unwrapped). Weird to think that a scene lasting three or four minutes took an entire Sunday, from about eight in the morning to six at night, to shoot
          Which was quite interesting in its way though seemingly devoid of any sign of NF.

Now watching the commentary on "Get Carter" with Michael Caine & the writer/director Mike Hodges, plus the DP.

And there's the shirts, jeans and socks done for this week.

The Red Light came on on the tumble drier.

I think that means I need to vacuum the dust off the filter again.

Which can wait until tomorrow.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 18 January 2019, 22:49.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
            Which was quite interesting in its way though seemingly devoid of any sign of NF.
            I'm one of the white dots about two-thirds of the way back, two or three to the right of centre. Not the most prominent role

Tea has been Southern not-actually-fried chicken, with chips and lashings of ketchup; very nice if you're in the mood for it, which I was

Comment

Still chilly, but no snow yet. They've knocked it down to 70% now

Comment

Yes, one can only take so much of that kind of thing. I'm definitely in need of something with missiles and explosions, or at least a few gunfights, after that
                Having just finished watching Baby Driver I can heartily recommend it. Multiple very well executed car chases, gunfights and romance all choreographed to an excellent soundtrack. The right people end up dead, the right people end up happy ever after, and there is enough of a story to keep things moving in a vaguely coherent manner. Can't really ask for much more. Worth a watch.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  Having just finished watching Baby Driver I can heartily recommend it. Multiple very well executed car chases, gunfights and romance all choreographed to an excellent soundtrack. The right people end up dead, the right people end up happy ever after, and there is enough of a story to keep things moving in a vaguely coherent manner. Can't really ask for much more. Worth a watch.
                  Yes, I've seen that - it's good, though as I commented at the time, the downside for me was that a lot of the music in there is stuff I never liked in the first place

Tonight's main feature, however, was Siberia (2018), in which Keanu Reeves is a diamond dealer selling some stones of questionable origin to a dodgy Russian gangster type. Sounded like it could be exciting, but it isn't; it's rubbish, often quite boring, the story (such as it is) is fairly incoherent, and the ending is pretty pointless as it doesn't either resolve or explain anything

And a bit more of The West Wing after that as I needed something that passed for entertainment after the above nonsense

Goodnight all

Comment

Yes, I've seen that - it's good, though as I commented at the time, the downside for me was that a lot of the music in there is stuff I never liked in the first place

Tonight's main feature, however, was Siberia (2018), in which Keanu Reeves is a diamond dealer selling some stones of questionable origin to a dodgy Russian gangster type. Sounded like it could be exciting, but it isn't; it's rubbish, often quite boring, the story (such as it is) is fairly incoherent, and the ending is pretty pointless as it doesn't either resolve or explain anything

And a bit more of The West Wing after that as I needed something that passed for entertainment after the above nonsense

Goodnight all
                    Now for me there isn't a duff track in the entire film
                    Last edited by DaveB; 19 January 2019, 10:05.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                      Now for me there isn't a duff track in the entire film
                      FTFY?

I suppose that's what makes horse races.

Morning.

Grey.

Misty.

Not 6 o'fecking clock.

Damp.

Dank.

Dreary.

Warmish, 15.6 in the living room, with 9.3 in the laundry room. The min of 4.1 probably applies to yesterday as it's not been that cold since.

Oh, it's nice to see the weather back to normal.

Builders busy hammering away next door.

Water periodically cascading out of the condensate pipe of the newly installed less than ideal Ideal boiler.

No idea where The Cat is.

Off down town shopping shortly.

The excitement of my life knows few bounds.

This lot must have watched the Stallone film:

Get Carter (1971) - Get Carter (1971) - User Reviews - IMDb

Then again:

Get Carter (2000) - Get Carter (2000) - User Reviews - IMDb
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 19 January 2019, 10:20.

Comment

Working...
                      X