• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning denizens

Sunny, but a bit chilly out

Heading to the south coast this afternoon, so I need to organise myself

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
      Glad to see you followed my recommendation & gave "Three Men in a Boat" a miss.
      Yes, I don't think there could be an adaptation of it worthy of the name

It simply doesn't lend itself to film or TV IMHO, as the trip up the river is a hook on which to hang a series of observations, anecdotes, and reflections, in addition to the various humorous incidents that occur on the trip itself. You either throw away most of what makes the book so special, or end up with a narrator reading out chunks of text over some vaguely scenic shot of blokes rowing, which is a good indication that you should have just gone Jackanory and read out the book in the first place.

And the IMDb description of that film seems to say that they tried to turn it into a romantic comedy, which is the worst idea imaginable

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
      Last evening's epic was "American Made" with Tom Cruise et al, being the story of the way the CIA has fecked up most of middle & south America in their inimitable and incompetent way.

You really couldn't make it up.

Unfortunately it's based on a true story.

American Made (2017) - IMDb

Quite enjoyable in a mad sort of way.
      I enjoyed that one when I watched it a few months ago

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Yes, I don't think there could be an adaptation of it worthy of the name

It simply doesn't lend itself to film or TV IMHO, as the trip up the river is a hook on which to hang a series of observations, anecdotes, and reflections, in addition to the various humorous incidents that occur on the trip itself. You either throw away most of what makes the book so special, or end up with a narrator reading out chunks of text over some vaguely scenic shot of blokes rowing, which is a good indication that you should have just gone Jackanory and read out the book in the first place.

And the IMDb description of that film seems to say that they tried to turn it into a romantic comedy, which is the worst idea imaginable

I enjoyed that one when I watched it a few months ago

I did quite enjoy the "remake" they did with Dara O'Briain, Rory McGrath and Gryff Rhys Jones. Basically three middle aged men and a dog trapped in a boat together for a week and squabbling the whole time.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          I did quite enjoy the "remake" they did with Dara O'Briain, Rory McGrath and Gryff Rhys Jones. Basically three middle aged men and a dog trapped in a boat together for a week and squabbling the whole time.
          Ah, but that's not an adaptation - it's just taking the same premise and seeing how it works out

They should get them to do The Kon-Tiki Expedition next

Comment

Lunch has been a bowl of chicken and barley soup out of the freezer, with a thick chunk of wholemeal bread. That soup really is very nice indeed

Comment

And now I need to start getting my act together for the journey to the south

Comment

And now I need to start getting my act together for the journey to the south
                *thrashes about aimlessly for two hours*

OK, finally ready. I should be just in time for the rush hour around Heathrow on the M25

See you later

Comment

Ah, but that's not an adaptation - it's just taking the same premise and seeing how it works out

They should get them to do The Kon-Tiki Expedition next
                  They did several others as well.

Three Men in a Boat (TV series) - Wikipedia
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I forwent the possibility of a trip on the X5 opting instead for the certainty of the X55.

I got off & walked before it got as far as the traffic light chaos that is Victoria Gardens at the moment.

The prospect of spending another 20 minutes going around in a big circle was too much for me, escpecially since it's not raining & my arse is on fire from sitting down too much today.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Made it to Brighton

Nice seaview room - well, it would be if it wasn't dark. Not the one I've had the last two years with the little flat roof of a bay window outside on which a seagull stands every morning, though.

They told me they'd "been able to give you a larger room than the one you booked" which I assume is hotel-speak for "We're not very busy this week"

Comment

Working...
                      X