• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Not sure, as I'm still getting it all set up. For the last couple of months it's run at almost exactly $20/month - I get the alert I set up to warn me of reaching that amount on the last day of the month. That's just a very small EC2 instance. With the database server running 24/7 as well (again, not a big one, but a bit bigger) that should go up to about $60/month or thereabouts. It may be a little less, as there's things like data I have stored as well that all add to the cost, but that tends to be in the pennies

I'd forgotten that a few New Years ago, I recorded my Twitter timeline with microsecond precision, so I had a dataset from the busiest time of the year on Twitter to play with - the idea was that I could play it back at my own code in real time, to see if it could handle it. That's been sitting there taking up 16GB all this time, and I think it's cost me maybe twelve cents a year or so to keep it around

EDIT to add: the migration of the tweets table is now up to over 600,000 tweets and climbing
    My current play dataset is 3 different sets each totaling 15-20m rows.

When complete (and the matching is finished) however I will have the most complete set of uk housing data in the world.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      My current play dataset is 3 different sets each totaling 15-20m rows.

When complete (and the matching is finished) however I will have the most complete set of uk housing data in the world.
      Nice!

Comment

Chicken pasanda for dinner, with the usual bits

Time for a beer, I reckon

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Nice!
          Or at least I believe it will be. Still don’t know what to do with it but because it was there I thought I would build it

Oh and add a few red herrings as to where 2 of the opendata.gov datasets come from
          Last edited by eek; 11 August 2017, 22:12.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

And meanwhile in The ZeitWorld where 640k should be enough for anything, this evening's entertainment consisted of the 2nd half of the Bogart film.

Turns out the (C) ran out and didn't get renewed so anyone & everyone appears to be able to make copies thereof.

This copy was introduced by Tony Curtis back in 1999 when he was apparently still alive, with a wig that would do credit to the WWWC himself.

In addition there was a pretty poor documentary on Bogart himself and some trailers for other Bogart films.

It was, all in all, worth the 50p it cost.

Followed by the 2nd feature which was "Inside Man": Denzel Washington, Christopher Plummer (not playing a Klingon), Jodie Foster (not playing Clarice Starling but some sort of high powered fixer), Willem Dafoe, and Clive Owen.

It was rather good.

Inside Man (2006) - IMDb

I think it cost 50p too, but there's a dup that cost £1, so an expensive evening all in all.

Comment

TFBSZ
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Tonight's cinematic experience opened with Blow, the true story of a pot smuggler who fell in with Pablo Escobar when they were both fairly young and became the leading importer of coke to the United States, and so in large part responsible for the widespread use thereof in the 1970s and early 1980s. As you might imagine, this didn't turn out that well for him in the long run, and he was probably lucky to get an extended stay in Federal prison rather than being offed by Escobar's lot at some point

It's good, but I found it slightly distracting that the entire style of the film was so clearly based on Goodfellas; I could go into great detail, but I might end up introducing spoilers accidentally. Suffice to say that if you see both of them, you'll easily spot the parallels. Still good, though

And then I found myself watching Run All Night, which started out with Liam Neeson apparently reprising his role in Non Stop of a middle-aged drunk disillusioned with his job; but this time, rather than being the good guy, he's a mob hitman who ends up on the wrong end of a quick and nasty blood feud. There's lots of guns and car crashes, and the aspect of the storyline about his estranged family manages to avoid being cloying while still keeping one interested. I enjoyed it and, if you like mayhem with a modicum of intelligence about it, I'd recommend it

Goodnight all

Comment

Grey out, but no current precipitation.

For the 2nd week I've failed to obtain a Big Issue.

So there's £5 saved.

<taps screen>

This thing is borked again, isn't it?

<taps screen>
                  Last edited by zeitghost; 12 August 2017, 12:15.

Comment

Grey

And the not

And then grey again with rain

And now some blue bits.

Missus has gone off to KFC in a huff due to misunderstanding about my brother and his girlfriend coming over so we were going out to dinner

Only his girlfriend is not coming.

Sigh

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Grey sort of day out, though not the sort of grey that has rain with it

Comment

Working...
                      X