• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£750 a day inside

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remember no expense deductions, if you're doing a like for like comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      Remember no expense deductions, if you're doing a like for like comparison.
      What happens if you only work 6 months a year through umbrella? Can you claim tax back? Recruiter told me Im having to pay myself employers national insurance through this umbrella setup so is that going to reduce tax reclaimable by 12.5%?

750 a day for 6 months = £99,000 gross

Through umbrella Contractor Take Home Pay & Expenses Calculator | Parasol thats

£7900 net per month x 6 = £47,400 net

According to this The Salary Calculator - Take-Home tax calculator

Usual PAYE perm job with salary of £99,000 for the year - would be take home of £66,000

If I cant reclaim that tax back with umbrella contract Im £20,000 worse off than being perm.

And what happens to my limited company? Stop taking monthly salary and leave it dormant for the foreseeable future?

Comment

The double posting gremlin is back!

You could get an income tax refund but you'll never get a NI refund.

You can choose to leave funds in your LtdCo and/or use them the fund your pension - check with your accountant the best way forward. If there's any business activity (such as pension contribs) then I don't think you can make it dormant.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          You can choose to leave funds in your LtdCo and/or use them the fund your pension - check with your accountant the best way forward. If there's any business activity (such as pension contribs) then I don't think you can make it dormant.
          I think checking with your accountant is important. Would there be any issue in making Pension contributions (from retained funds in PSC) if you're an employee (either standard PAYE or Umbrella) at the time? Can you make those payments even if you're not actively working via the PSC? I guess you could argue you are actively out looking for business.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
            I think checking with your accountant is important. Would there be any issue in making Pension contributions (from retained funds in PSC) if you're an employee (either standard PAYE or Umbrella) at the time? Can you make those payments even if you're not actively working via the PSC? I guess you could argue you are actively out looking for business.
            And what happens if you go back to PSC limited after a few months. Going to be a load of hassle sorting your tax out surely? Read a few horror stories of umbrella company screw ups

Its already a ballache of multiple months on bench between roles - staring at jobserve everyday

Now Im gonna have tax nightmares on top.

Contracting just isnt worth the hassle. Back to perm it is

Comment

Originally posted by tsmith View Post
              And what happens if ...
              Yes, there's lots of "what happens if", we can't play out every single scenario, which is why any contractor who has been doing it for a while will advise you to have a good archest built up.

Going to be a load of hassle sorting your tax out surely?
              That's why contractors pay to have an accountant.

Read a few horror stories of umbrella company screw ups
              There's a lot of horror stories about contractor screw ups.
              Most of the horror stories about umbrellas are because people have gone for unregistered umbrellas, or ones that operate schemes.

Contracting over the last decade has become more and more difficult and it's not going to get any easier over the next 4+ years unless something major changes in HMGov & HMRC.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Equivalent date rates both outside and inside IR35

Just had a potential role presented to me- not at interview stage yet but been informed...

Rate is £750 inside IR35 through an Umbrella - would give a net day rate after NIC and PAYE contributions of circa £350

This is a worst case figure and likely higher once tax codes and allowances are factored in – probably closer to £390-400

---

Anyone on a similar rate now and willing to share their net per day please?
                I have the same question, from your calculation I would be looking at 52% reduction in the offered day rate,inside IR35 when compared with the day rate outside IR35. This does seem a big drop. Also, has anyone elected to work on an IR35 contract but manage all the tax deductions through their limited company and accountant. This would be my preferred option .

Comment

Originally posted by DanielW View Post
                  I have the same question, from your calculation I would be looking at 52% reduction in the offered day rate,inside IR35 when compared with the day rate outside IR35. This does seem a big drop. Also, has anyone elected to work on an IR35 contract but manage all the tax deductions through their limited company and accountant. This would be my preferred option .
                  Yep, those calls sound about right.

But I’ll be amazed if anyone can run an inside IR35 contract through their Ltd. Clients are on the hook to make sure the taxes are paid and they’ll make sure of that by refusing to work with Ltds and insisting on PAYE or Umbrellas.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    Yep, those calls sound about right.

But I’ll be amazed if anyone can run an inside IR35 contract through their Ltd. Clients are on the hook to make sure the taxes are paid and they’ll make sure of that by refusing to work with Ltds and insisting on PAYE or Umbrellas.
                    It's possible for an agency to work with a person limited company but it requires the agency to do deemed payments and deduct the appropriate amount of employer NI (paid by the agency) and employee NI and income tax (deducted on your company's behalf) before paying the rest to your limited company.

But as you can tell from the above there is zero reason why any agency will go to all that effort - it's easier to just say agency payroll or from this list of umbrella companies.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                      Nope, was Public Sector.
                      Ah Student Loans?
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X