• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

801 Migrants cross English Channel in 1 day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

801 Migrants cross English Channel in 1 day

That's right, 801 unknown, new people arrived in the UK by illegally crossing the English Channel.

By crossing the English Channel I should clarify, were rescued from their boats by "Border Force" and the RNLI.

So, the UK now has 801 additional mouths to feed, bodies to maintain with an already creaking NHS, and assuming that their English is poor, they will need educating, beds to sleep in and hopefully these migrants will be processed so that we can identify them and deal with them appropriately - by which I mean issue them with the right to stay and dump them on local authorities.

Given that "In 2022/23, the average cost of a prison place in England and Wales was £51,724 a year" I will put an arbitrary, plucked from thin air average cost per migrant for their first year at 2/3 of the price of a 2022/2023 Prisoner so that will laden the UK tax payer with an additional cost of £34,482 per migrant or £27,620,082 or the heating allowance for 92,066 Pensioners.

Let that sink in, Saturday's arrival of "Migrants" who crossed the channel illegally has cost the UK purse approximately £27,620,082 over the next 12 months.
    Last edited by Zigenare; 16 September 2024, 05:12.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    That's right, 801 unknown, new people arrived in the UK by illegally crossing the English Channel.

By crossing the English Channel I should clarify, were rescued from their boats by "Border Force" and the RNLI.

So, the UK now has 801 additional mouths to feed, bodies to maintain with an already creaking NHS, and assuming that their English is poor, they will need educating, beds to sleep in and hopefully these migrants will be processed so that we can identify them and deal with them appropriately - by which I mean issue them with the right to stay and dump them on local authorities.

Given that "In 2022/23, the average cost of a prison place in England and Wales was £51,724 a year" I will put an arbitrary, plucked from thin air average cost per migrant for their first year at 2/3 of the price of a 2022/2023 Prisoner so that will laden the UK tax payer with an additional cost of £34,482 per migrant or £27,620,082 or the heating allowance for 92,066 Pensioners.

Let that sink in, Saturday's arrival of "Migrants" who crossed the channel illegally has cost the UK purse approximately £27,620,082 over the next 12 months.
    Isn't your wife an Irish Migrant?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

Isn't your wife an Irish Migrant?
      She is indeed, with a UK and an Irish Passport. Now ask the question "Did she enter the UK illegally?".
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

And? Exactly how do YOU propose to stop them arriving?

Remember when answering the question that it is international law that you rescue people from sinking boats and that once in the UK we need to look after them until we determine they are or are not refugees..
        Last edited by eek; 16 September 2024, 07:11.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          And? Exactly how do YOU propose to stop them arriving?
          I don't have a solution - but then again I'm not paid the mega-bucks to come up with one.

A start would be sending them back to France, once France have had a few boatloads sent back then maybe they'd be a little more strict about who they were letting into their country in the first place - maybe start policing their borders more effectively.

Comment

That's a drop in the ocean compared to the 'legal' immigration. Currently running at around 1,000 per day, every day. They also need housing, jobs, NHS etc, etc. There's no infrastructure going in to accommodate them also. I suspect that's why 14M people are worried enough about it to vote for the only party to say they would do something about it.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
              That's a drop in the ocean compared to the 'legal' immigration. Currently running at around 1,000 per day, every day. They also need housing, jobs, NHS etc, etc. There's no infrastructure going in to accommodate them also. I suspect that's why 14M people are worried enough about it to vote for the only party to say they would do something about it.
              sadly both are a problem.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I don't have a solution - but then again I'm not paid the mega-bucks to come up with one.

A start would be sending them back to France, once France have had a few boatloads sent back then maybe they'd be a little more strict about who they were letting into their country in the first place - maybe start policing their borders more effectively.
                So your starting point just shows you lack of comprehension skills - if a person is rescued by a UK flagged ship, we can't send them back to France..
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

So your starting point just shows you lack of comprehension skills - if a person is rescued by a UK flagged ship, we can't send them back to France..
                  That's ok then. Thanks for your contribution.

Would you now like to point out in Maritime Law where it says that those rescued at sea must be taken to the UK just because the rescuing vessel is UK flagged?
                  Last edited by Zigenare; 16 September 2024, 09:57.

Comment

Or pay for a few hundred Police/Border officials to patrol the French coastline to try and stop them launching the boats, and apprehend traffickers.

Comment

Working...
                    X