• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flying Ryanair

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flying Ryanair

For the past 20 years we've only ever flown TUI from our local airport, and we've always had a very good experience with them.

Where we're going on holiday next, we have two options:
    1) Ryanair from the local airport (45 mins away)
    2) Or drive 3 hours to the next airport, where easyJet or Jet2 would be an option

Obviously we'd rather use the local airport but I've heard negative stories about sharp practice with Ryanair. Eg. charging hefty penalties if you don't turn up to the airport with the right paperwork.

With TUI, you can either check-in on-line, or at the airport at no extra cost. If you check-in at the airport the only thing you need is your passport (you don't even need to print off your ticket). I imagine things might be a bit different with Ryanair.

Anyway, any gotchas to watch out for?

Check their luggage policy carefully. Last few times I've flown with them it's a small backpack or bag that will go under the seat in front so likely have to pay extra for a case if you are going on holiday.

If there are two of you you won't be sat together. They purposely split you up so you have to pay for seats to sit together which IMO is an absolute disgrace. Forcing women to sit next to strangers just to make you pay is one of the worst customer service I think I've ever seen.

Make sure you've got your bording passes in your app and take a screen shot of the page in case there is a wifi issue and we always print them out as well just to be on the the safe side.

Apart from that, as long as you take careful note of the baggage sizes then you'll be fine.

Oh yeah... I forgot the worst part. You'll be in a plane full of poor people.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Ryanair's business model is you pay for everything and they pay as little as possible. (Their pilots are threatening to strike is a good example of the latter.) They also use the cheapest gate they can use; fly to Dublin and it's a half mile walk from the gate to Arrivals. They also have interesting interpretations of major city airports on occasion.

Avoid at all costs. (And if you want it more effectively expressed, try this!)
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

INKSPE

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          INKSPE
          It's the initial journey time that is the issue nothing else.

Although I'm curious as to where you could be that gets Ryanair flights but doesn't have a Jet2 or Easyjet - I mean my local airport doesn't but the next 2 are only an hours drive away...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Avoid at all costs.
            Totally this but sometimes there just isn't a choice if you want to get the best out of your trip sadly.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I had to fly them for one company - huge red flag.

I have to take medical equipment with me and did the paperwork a month early and they said you will have it 24 hours before the flight. I then had to chase them repeatedly to get it.

Attendants - lovely, pilots good but the administration is horrific.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

If the Ryanair flight is to the same destination airport as the others.

I sometimes have to visit a client site and my options are:
                1. 1-1.5hr drive to local airport and Ryanair flight
                2. 2.5-3hr drive to LHR.
                If I fly out of LHR, I'm 20 minutes from client site/hotel. If I fly out of local, the landing airport (supposedly in the same city), I'm about 1hr 20mins from client site/hotel. The client uses a chauffeur that is €70 to the closer airport and €250 to the other (one way).
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Although I'm curious as to where you could be that gets Ryanair flights but doesn't have a Jet2 or Easyjet - I mean my local airport doesn't but the next 2 are only an hours drive away...
                  It's a very small regional airport and Ryanair took over routes from FlyBe when they went bust.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

If there are two of you you won't be sat together. They purposely split you up so you have to pay for seats to sit together which IMO is an absolute disgrace. Forcing women to sit next to strangers just to make you pay is one of the worst customer service I think I've ever seen.
                    Why do you think that's a problem for able bodied women?

As every time I've travelled with them and been split from those in my party then there is a 50/50 chance I'm sitting next to another woman.

Though I have had to tell men to FO when I'm sitting an aisle seat that I've paid for with people in my party or travelling with someone with a hidden disability, and they want it.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X