• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sir Kier Starmer - Odds on not completing a full term?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woody1 View Post

I was merely pointing out that stemming it ain't easy without impacting many sectors of the economy and disrupting the NHS, universities etc.

After all, if it was easy, surely the Tories would have got a grip of it after 14 years!
    Foreign students are fine, and they pay a huge amount into the universities. What's wrong is allowing them to bring in their families; they are here to study not work. When you have a proper job in the UK, then you can bring in everyone else.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Foreign students are fine, and they pay a huge amount into the universities. What's wrong is allowing them to bring in their families; they are here to study not work. When you have a proper job in the UK, then you can bring in everyone else.
      Looks like the Tories finally did something about this.
      https://www.gov.uk/government/news/t...to%20the%20UK.

Comment

Looks like the Tories finally did something about this.
        https://www.gov.uk/government/news/t...to%20the%20UK.
        Ah. Must have missed that one!
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/briefings/migrants-in-the-uk-labour-market-an-overview

"In the first quarter of 2024, 6.8 million foreign-born people were employed in the UK, making up over a fifth* of the workforce"

* 14% non-EU; 7% EU
          Last edited by woody1; 11 July 2024, 15:12.

Comment

I was merely pointing out that stemming it ain't easy without impacting many sectors of the economy and disrupting the NHS, universities etc.

After all, if it was easy, surely the Tories would have got a grip of it after 14 years!
            Its a big whelk stall! Check out other countries.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/briefings/migrants-in-the-uk-labour-market-an-overview

"In the first quarter of 2024, 6.8 million foreign-born people were employed in the UK, making up over a fifth* of the workforce"

* 14% non-EU; 7% EU
              What percentage contribute overall?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

What percentage contribute overall?
                I don't know if this answers your question or not but, according to the above report, salaries of foreign workers are marginally higher than UK born workers.

I wonder what proportion of foreign workers are:
                a) filling skill shortages
                b) doing jobs that Brits won't do

Comment

I don't know if this answers your question or not but, according to the above report, salaries of foreign workers are marginally higher than UK born workers.

I wonder what proportion of foreign workers are:
                  a) filling skill shortages
                  b) doing jobs that Brits won't do

a) the way the skills shortage visa's work, they were paid 80% of a native to fill skills shortage. Frequently the visa required wage was less than the going uk rate.

b) As I said when the EU workers first came where the average Polish wage was a 7th of the UK's one , pay me £125k a year to clean tables, I will clear tables.Give me £120k a year to sit on my arse I can sit on my arse.

If the skills are social care pay people 15 times uk average wages you will be surprised how many will do the job.

This is the salary list for visa applicants

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...on-salary-list

the average uk salary is £42,000

https://uk.indeed.com/career-advice/...rage-uk-salary

Health care assistant is £23,000 on the visa list.

sort of proves we are underpaying people an using cheap foreign labour.

Comment

The problem is, care home fees are already really high. Talking to an elderly neighbour, whose wife has dementia, for a fairly nice one it's £1500/week but the local authority will only pay about £700/week. If they paid the staff a lot more, I hate to think how much the fees would have to go up.

As for paying hospitality, food processing, fruit&veg pickers etc a lot more, would we, the consumers, be prepared to foot the bill?

Comment

The problem is, care home fees are already really high. Talking to an elderly neighbour, whose wife has dementia, for a fairly nice one it's £1500/week but the local authority will only pay about £700/week. If they paid the staff a lot more, I hate to think how much the fees would have to go up.

As for paying hospitality, food processing, fruit&veg pickers etc a lot more, would we, the consumers, be prepared to foot the bill?
                      How many "care" homes are "not-for-profit" and how many are owned by private companies?
                      Renationalise the care "industry", remove "care in the community" it failed!
                      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                      X