• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Make Britain Great Again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GJABS View Post

Hate is too strong a word. Disillusionment and a belief that the mainstream parties have lost their way is what is driving most people, myself included, who support Reform.
    Which is a bloody stupid reason to vote for Reform, who can offer nothing at best and a Labour win at worst. If you want a protest vote, pick a local indpendent.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Which is a bloody stupid reason to vote for Reform, who can offer nothing at best and a Labour win at worst. If you want a protest vote, pick a local indpendent.
      We are voting Reform not to protest, but to try to elect someone who will represent us and not continue the uniparty's 20 year mission to destroy our country and ruin our lives. Bloody stupid is voting for more of the same or wasting your vote on independent.

Comment

Reform have nasty candidates, lie in their ‘contract’ and aren’t even a political party. I very much doubt that Farage will spend every Friday in Clacton if he gets the seat (if he spends any time there at all). Good luck to Clacton, they’re going to need it.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post

We are voting Reform ... to try to elect someone who will represent us ...

Bloody stupid is ... wasting your vote on independent.
          Staggering logic there.

Don't want to vote for one of the big parties because they are big and don't represent you, but don't want to vote for a local independent because they represent you better than anyone else but it's a waste, instead, choose a Ltd that is run by charlatans who have been on the political gravy train since Rishi Sunak was in shorts. (or, for example, Sue Ellen Braverman was 13 when Farage founded UKIP)
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Farage is very intelligent, smart, hard-working, energetic, and well connected. He is a breath of fresh air compared with the existing set of tired politicians of all parties who have become complacent. I want him in Parliament where he will provide an effective opposition to Kier Starmer, as well as being available (rather as Winston Churchill was) to become Prime Minister should a world event occur that would call for his independence of thought in the top job.

Comment

Farage is very intelligent, smart, hard-working, energetic, and well connected. He is a breath of fresh air compared with the existing set of tired politicians of all parties who have become complacent. I want him in Parliament where he will provide an effective opposition to Kier Starmer, as well as being available (rather as Winston Churchill was) to become Prime Minister should a world event occur that would call for his independence of thought in the top job.
              Farage is a opportunistic egotist. He did nothing in his 20 years as an MEP (for which he is still being paid a big pension, conditional on him supporting the EU parliament at all times*) and has a public persona completely at odds with is real self. He will never wield any power in the House even if elected, and won't even get called at PMQs more than once a session, much less challenge Starmer or whoever.

It's this fantasy view of political reality that's doing the damage. The only counter to any ruling party is an effective opposition with better ideas. We haven't had that for the last 15 years, and look where that has got us.

* Just like Mandelson, of course, who is pulling a lot of levers in the background.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Nurse!
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Farage is a opportunistic egotist. He did nothing in his 20 years as an MEP (for which he is still being paid a big pension, conditional on him supporting the EU parliament at all times*) and has a public persona completely at odds with is real self. He will never wield any power in the House even if elected, and won't even get called at PMQs more than once a session, much less challenge Starmer or whoever.

It's this fantasy view of political reality that's doing the damage. The only counter to any ruling party is an effective opposition with better ideas. We haven't had that for the last 15 years, and look where that has got us.

* Just like Mandelson, of course, who is pulling a lot of levers in the background.
                  If he is "opportunistic" this means that he only does things where there is a need for them to be done. For example it was only in the past few months, as the economy has begun to slide, that he has seen a need for his services. The past 4 years he has been in the background.

"has a public persona completely at odds with is real self." - where did you see this?

So for the past 15 years, Labour have been an ineffective opposition. I would suggest that they would be an ineffective government. And the Tories have been ineffective too, running up a huge government debt, importing millions of immigrants into the country despite saying they wouldn't, so I don't think they would make a good opposition either.
                  So who is left? Reform, the Green Party, and the Liberal Democrats. And I don't agree with the policies of those last two!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Nurse!
                    It's the Trump playbook, which can be traced back to other megalomaniacs as well. Convince their worshippers that they are victims and everyone else is part of some far more powerful group that is also far less powerful, etc etc.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

If he is "opportunistic" this means that he only does things where there is a need for them to be done. For example it was only in the past few months, as the economy has begun to slide, that he has seen a need for his services. The past 4 years he has been in the background.

"has a public persona completely at odds with is real self." - where did you see this?

So for the past 15 years, Labour have been an ineffective opposition. I would suggest that they would be an ineffective government. And the Tories have been ineffective too, running up a huge government debt, importing millions of immigrants into the country despite saying they wouldn't, so I don't think they would make a good opposition either.
                      So who is left? Reform, the Green Party, and the Liberal Democrats. And I don't agree with the policies of those last two!
                      Well you can't argue with such delusions. The economy isn't sliding - or rather it is, but upwards - for just one glaring example.

He says what he knows you want to hear. He can't implement any of it.

Starmer does the same, the difference being that he is going to do something completely different when he wins that he is not telling you.

Sunak is an unimpressive accountant with poor dress sense, but he and the Tories have actually achieved things (which many people are cheerfully ignoring out of boredom), are making things better (too slowly, but better than nothing and quite a lot of it faster than the rest of Europe) and has a coherent plan for the future that he won't be able to implement. In fact, he seems resigned to seeing it destroyed.

So you have a choice between P T Barnum, a deceitful vacuum and dullness personified. And you prefer Father Christmas. Come back next year and see how it al turned out for you.
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X