• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Insert Rude Name

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insert Rude Name

...for people who have a disability and need PIP whether they are working or not.

Be aware that there are members on this forum who have disabilities.

The government consultation is here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...ty-green-paper

Labours plans are here:
    https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/la...enefits%20bill.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Crickey, 24% of people claiming a disability. I had no idea. I'd be interested to see one of them pictorgrams of locations. I've a feeling certain areas are going to be much denser than others.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Crickey, 24% of people claiming a disability.

7. There are now 2.6 million people of working age in receipt of PIP and DLA and more UK adults now report a disability than when PIP was first introduced.
      Nearly a quarter of adults of working age in the UK say they have a disability or health condition which causes substantial difficulty with day-to-day activities, up from 16% when PIP was first introduced. This equates to 8 million people of working age in England and Wales.

8 million claiming they have a disability or health condition (that's the 24% bit), 2.6 million in receipt of PIP/DLA, which is a bit under 8% of the workforce.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Just be glad we aren't in the states Diabetes is considered a disability.

Might be interesting to look at the ages and disability type .
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

i'll insert rude name for fits and giggles!!
          courtg9000

Former IPSE member
          My Website

Comment

Crickey, 24% of people claiming a disability. I had no idea. I'd be interested to see one of them pictorgrams of locations. I've a feeling certain areas are going to be much denser than others.
            Fun fact. I need to use disabled toilets, but you'd never have guessed meeting me.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

There are some maps here, although they're based on the 2021 census so they're not bang up to date:
              Disability, England and Wales - Office for National Statistics (ons.gov.uk)

The household data shows that it's most common in the south east of England (i.e. highest percentage of disabled people per household), but the age standardised version shows highest density in south Wales and the north east of England. The idea of age standardised is that you'd expect a retirement village to have a higher percentage of disabled people than a student hall of residence, but I don't know the exact process they use to adjust the figures.

Comment

A lot of people think a disability means you need a wheelchair or a white stick etc., but there are plenty of invisible disabilities which can prevent a person living anything like a "normal" life, and of course that can extend to the ability to work a job.

For example, it's estimated that 2m people in the UK suffer from Long COVID, which is officially considered a disability and can hugely affect the daily life and options of someone who previously may have been very fit and healthy and full of life. Many of those people probably won't claim any kind of benefit for it, but they may be included in the figures for disability, I have no idea how they're calculated. This particular issue is only going to get worse as the UK in general is under the impression that COVID is a thing of the past and no precautions are necessary, but plenty of people are still getting infected on a regular basis and - unlike a dose of the flu - in a proportion of those it'll lead to a horrible and debilitating set of post-COVID symptoms which can go on for years.

24% seems a huge number though

Comment

Disabilities now include benefits for neurodiversity.

Friends of ours have a partially deaf child they are entitled to various benefits and a blue badge.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    Just be glad we aren't in the states Diabetes is considered a disability.

Might be interesting to look at the ages and disability type .
                    It actually is in the UK. Depends on the individual with it.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X