• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do People Still Stay Away?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do People Still Stay Away?

TL; DR - Does anyone still stay overnight near their client for work, or does everyone pretty much demand remote working post-Covid? Any hints/tips/observations for minimising costs/maximising luxury for London stays? Any recommendations for good, low-cost, reasonably healthy eats near the City?

--
    Recently returned to contracting and the client (specifically, the project manager on my team) wants us all in 3 days per week etc. Having been pretty much 100% remote for last 2 years, and being keen to work for this particular client (industry leader in terms of being quirky/trying new tech), I readily agreed.

I'm on the edge of commuting territory for London - roughly 1hr 45m door-to-door. I used to do it 5 days per week pre-Covid, and thought I'd hit the jackpot in a previous contract when I managed to twist the client's arm to let me WFH on Fridays, but times have changed and I've gotten old/lazy/now have kids, so now the idea of staying away appeals (the kids bit has made me tired, not want to stay away - I struggle to make it back in time for bed time/gone before they wake up if I do commute!).

For the first few weeks, I've been staying in self-service apartments and enjoying a naughty night of Football Manager. Means I can put the hours in at the office, and not need worry about getting up early next day - costs me about £140/night including my food bill, vs about £80/day commuting. Trying to think like a contractor again, I felt the extra £120 expense for my ltd co for two nights a week was a good investment to get 8 hours of the commute back. However, last week I got locked out by the maintenance team and had to get a last minute emergency stay at Travelodge (£160 out of pocket unless I can get a refund), and starting to have second thoughts... I've supposedly got at least another year, so trying to decide on my rhythm for 2024.

Originally posted by fiisch View Post
    Does anyone still stay overnight near their client for work, or does everyone pretty much demand remote working post-Covid?
    Bear in mind that there is a third option. In my case, I work in the office most days, but it's in the same city where I live, so there are no overnight stays involved.

Comment

~ 1 hour commute to most of London, but I pay a premium to live here...

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I'm away three to four nights a week and still enjoy it. I stayed away a lot pre-covid so am used to it. You've got to get out of the mentality of insisting you WFH or the client can do one. Negotiate for sure but I don't agree with expecting most clients to allow full WFH. That was a short term response to a global epidemic. Many clients have hybrid working which is much better than it was before covid so take it as a benefit. I'm old so been working in an office for over 30 years. Hybrid to me a fun new thing which is better for me overall.

BUT... I do what I do for clients and get well paid for it. If i have to stay away or long commute for a short term gig which will be one of many then so be it. Work away, make the best of it and then see what the next gig brings. It's only temporary.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 28 November 2023, 08:52.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

enjoying a naughty night of Football Manager.
          WTAF???????

costs me about £140/night including my food bill
          find cheaper digs....
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

It's not for everyone but if all you're going to do is gaming in the evening, have you looked at getting a room on Airbnb? I used it a lot a few years ago and I found the hosts in pretty much every house I stayed in to be very pleasant people.

Occasionally I stayed in a real luxury property including a room in what was basically a small mansion and often it was significantly cheaper than a hotel room.

If you're working in the city, there are probably flat owners in Docklands with a spare room or maybe house owners if you're a bit further out on the Elizabeth line.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              I'm away three to four nights a week and still enjoy it. I stayed away a lot pre-covid so am used to it. You've got to get out of the mentality of insisting you WFH or the client can do one. Negotiate for sure but I don't agree with expecting most clients to allow full WFH. That was a short term response to a global epidemic. Many clients have hybrid working which is much better than it was before covid so take it as a benefit. I'm old so been working in an office for over 30 years. Hybrid to me a fun new thing which is better for me overall.

BUT... I do what I do for clients and get well paid for it. If i have to stay away or long commute for a short term gig which will be one of many then so be it. Work away, make the best of it and then see what the next gig brings. It's only temporary.
              To be honest, I've found being back in an office refreshing - yes, it's less time with family/cuts into the day, but 100% remote really affected my mental state and I ended up feeling quite isolated/bored/unfulfilled. I had an easy life, but not a fulfilling one - I actually chose this contract over a fully remote one, even though it was only an extra £20/day which doesn't cover my commute/travel costs.

I'm reluctant to do the AirBnB thing unless it's an entire place to myself - I like my space, and I'd find it wearing to have to "invade" someone's home on an evening, but realise I'm paying for the privilege. I hadn't thought of Docklands but now with the Elizabeth Line that's a good shout...

Localish jobs are not really an option for me - I'm domain-specific (insurance), so 99% of any contracts I get will be London (or remote) based.

Comment

To be honest, I've found being back in an office refreshing - yes, it's less time with family/cuts into the day, but 100% remote really affected my mental state and I ended up feeling quite isolated/bored/unfulfilled. I had an easy life, but not a fulfilling one - I actually chose this contract over a fully remote one, even though it was only an extra £20/day which doesn't cover my commute/travel costs.

I'm reluctant to do the AirBnB thing unless it's an entire place to myself - I like my space, and I'd find it wearing to have to "invade" someone's home on an evening, but realise I'm paying for the privilege. I hadn't thought of Docklands but now with the Elizabeth Line that's a good shout...

Localish jobs are not really an option for me - I'm domain-specific (insurance), so 99% of any contracts I get will be London (or remote) based.
                Probably unlikely in inner London but I've used Airbnbs where there's been a smart 'granny annexe' type building adjacent to the main house.

If you're looking at the Elizabeth line then perhaps Abbey Wood or Woolwich might be a goer or Stratford a bit closer. I grew up near the first two and there has been a lot of regeneration going on even before the Elizabeth line opened. Stratford might have lots of flat owners with spare rooms, huge numbers have been built in recent years.

Comment

Couple of jobs ago all our IBM developers were all based hours away and came down 1-5 days a week. They either booked the Travel Lodge well in advance or stayed in a room with a family. The one who stayed in the room had a cinema habit, (always ask him about the best new releases) rather than football games but he paid £20-30 a night for his bed and really liked it.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

TL; DR - Does anyone still stay overnight near their client for work, or does everyone pretty much demand remote working post-Covid? Any hints/tips/observations for minimising costs/maximising luxury for London stays? Any recommendations for good, low-cost, reasonably healthy eats near the City?
                    I often stay overnight near my client for work, when it suits.
                    Current role technically 2 day in office hybrid so 1 night in a little Pub/Hotel
                    Client site is doable in a day (2hr-ish one way) - so if not doing 2 days I'll just pull a long stint.
                    Client relationship is good so I can go several weeks without the need to actually go to office, and on a couple of occasions I have gone in for 3-4 days. (See below)

Pedantic point: I never DEMAND anything from Clients. We negotiate a mutually acceptable solution - a much happier relationship.

Can't help with that thar Laaaandaaaan - over the years I have done loads of gigs in London but it is a simple hour-ish commute for me. Although thinking about it I haven't done a London role for many years pre-Covid.

Comment

Working...
                    X