• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do People Still Stay Away?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do 1 night a week in a hotel, it’s only a premier inn, buts it’s clean
    either I am studying for my masters or playing games in the eve
    and as a permie, it’s all paid in advance buy work, inc evening meal & breakfast
    I do 2 days wfh, and the last day at a local site, it suits me
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Comment

4 days WFH, 1 day in the orifice - Luton, so yes it's a tuliphole!
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

I do 4 days onsite 1 week per month, so 1 week each month I do Monday to Thursday onsite.

Client pays everything, flights, transfers, hotel with half board and lunches at their office.

I almost feel sorry for them.

Their office is in a European capital city and I always stay in a nice hotel in the center.

In the summer took the Mrs with me on one trip, I paid her flights, they paid the hotel because the receipt didn't mention that two people stayed in the double room. I worked each day and the Mrs relaxed and then we explored the city center in the evenings.

Everyone's a winner.

When I talk to agents I say, maximum 1 week per month onsite. Most of the contract offers in my area are mainly remote with some travel.

Milan.

Comment

The way some potential recruiters/clients act, you'd think that contractors run a mile at the first thought of getting dressed in the morning.

"No, I am interested even though it's 1-2 days a week in the office. No, I don't mind the commute / staying overnight."

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
            4 days WFH, 1 day in the orifice - Luton, so yes it's a tuliphole!
            Stay in Harpenden then, well the farm at East Hyde. In summer nice walk along the river Lea. Stones throw from Capability Green if that's where you are.
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

Stay in Harpenden then, well the farm at East Hyde. In summer nice walk along the river Lea. Stones throw from Capability Green if that's where you are.
              When I do stay it's out at a farm that used to have Camels, Llamas, Meerkats etc. Under new ownership so the animals have gone - still a nice place to stay and convenient for CG.
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Pre-Covid had some quite long stints working away from home Monday to Friday, the longest being almost a year in Peterborough so kind of got used to it. Migrated from bed and breakfasts to AirBnBs which I liked because you could get a kitchen to cook for yourself.

Since Covid I spent two days in an office immediately after one of the lockdowns were downgraded in 2021. I stayed in a hotel on the Sunday and had to prove I was doing it for work and the Monday was the first time they were able to serve breakfast in the dinning room in months. Had one night away in my last contract when they wanted me in the office two days in a row but usually was wanted in every Wednesday which involved getting a 0528 train in the morning and getting back at about 2100. Was expensed though.

Don't have any objections to going into the office so long as it is agreed up front, although won't be staying away from home if I ever have to do an Inside contract.

Comment

I don't mind the idea in principle, but post IR35 world has made it basically untenable for me. Most of my clients have a blanket ban on Ltd Co's, and staying away on an average umbrella rate is just a non starter.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
                    Pre-Covid had some quite long stints working away from home Monday to Friday, the longest being almost a year in Peterborough so kind of got used to it.................
                    Dear Lord - A year in Peterborough that must've been... errr "fun"

What the hell do you do in Peterborough?

Comment

Originally posted by Dactylion View Post

Dear Lord - A year in Peterborough that must've been... errr "fun"

What the hell do you do in Peterborough?
                      Shoot protestors? Oh sorry that is Peterloo

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attrac...e_England.html
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X