• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Some people thought it was a hoax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some people thought it was a hoax

A quarter to a third of the UK population are as thick as mince according to a survey.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...theories-finds

The UK is home to millions more conspiracy theorists than most people realise, with almost a quarter of the population believing Covid-19 was probably or definitely a hoax, polling has revealed.

About a third of the population are convinced that the cost of living crisis is a government plot to control the public, and similar numbers think “15-minute cities” – an attempt to increase walking in neighbourhoods – are a government surveillance ruse, and that the “great replacement theory” – the idea that white people are being replaced by non-white immigrants – is happening.

The findings, on the eve of the first evidence session of the UK’s public inquiry into the pandemic, which killed more than 227,000 people in the UK, come from an April survey by Savanta for King’s College London (KCL) and the BBC.

It found beliefs were shared through social media – most commonly YouTube and Facebook – and fuelled by websites including 21st Century Wire, The Light, The Exposé and Breitbart, the last of which was run by Donald Trump’s former adviser Steve Bannon.

One in seven people – about 6 million adults – believe violence is a fair response to some alleged conspiracies.

The general public underestimates the number of conspiracy theorists by approximately 4 million adults, according to the researchers who uncovered what they described as “shocking” attitudes.

“Protest is a key part of a healthy democracy and people will have sometimes legitimate concerns about the motivations behind government and others’ actions, but it’s worrying that around one in seven say that violence would be acceptable in protests against, for example, government digital currencies or 15-minute cities,” said Prof Bobby Duffy, the director of the Policy Institute at KCL.

Social media are the most likely places for people to first encounter conspiracy theories but people who read publications such as The Light were much more likely to believe in conspiracies than the wider population.

Headlines in a recent edition of the UK-based publication include “Climate CO2 hoax – how bankers hijacked the real environment movement” and “Control over money will end in total slavery”.

Conspiracy theories often develop out of real-world problems and anxieties. For example, rising interest rates and inflation, which reduce affluence and leave families struggling, can fuel a belief that powerful forces are plotting to deliberately impoverish certain sections of society.

“These findings underline the importance of conspiracy theories in explaining how many people understand politics and the events which shape their lives,” said Dr Rod Dacombe, a reader in politics in the department of political economy at KCL. “For some people, conspiracy theories provide the main focus of political participation and the primary means through which they understand what is going on in the world.”

Nineteen per cent of people in the survey said it was true or probably true that “the UK government carried out the 2005 attacks on the underground in London to encourage support for war in the Middle East”, and 18% said it was definitely or probably true that “the Manchester Arena attack involved ‘crisis actors’ who pretended to be injured or killed – people weren’t really killed or injured”.

Three out of 10 people thought the “Great Reset” initiative announced by the World Economic Forum in 2020 was a conspiracy to impose a totalitarian world government. Between a fifth and a quarter of people – 8 million to 10 million adults – said they would protest against the introduction of central bank digital currencies, a “deep state” of military, intelligence and government officials who try to secretly manipulate government policy, “15-minute cities” and against vaccines.

Men were about twice as likely as women to say they would participate in direct action.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Nineteen per cent of people in the survey said it was true or probably true that “the UK government carried out the 2005 attacks on the underground in London to encourage support for war in the Middle East”, and 18% said it was definitely or probably true that “the Manchester Arena attack involved ‘crisis actors’ who pretended to be injured or killed – people weren’t really killed or injured”.
    I'm sorry but I simply cannot believe that. Who the hell are they carrying this survey out on? Impossible to take one word of the whole survey seriously based on that paragraph alone.

Bloody millennials and Gen Z's.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 13 June 2023, 08:09.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Not all conspiracy theories are equal though.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I'm sorry but I simply cannot believe that. Who the hell are they carrying this survey out on? Impossible to take one word of the whole survey seriously based on that paragraph alone.

Bloody millennials and Gen Z's.
        I agree,

The report says data is collected from 2274 UK adults 18+ via online interviews - my guess is a fairly high proportion of the people willing to be interviewed about conspiracy theories are likely to be the ones who believe some conspiracy theories... "normal" people will keep on scrolling so to extrapolate the numbers up to saying things like "a quarter of the population" is pretty inaccurate - but that's the media

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/policy-institu...-uk-public.pdf

Comment

As George Carlin said: think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that.

Global social and mass media just makes it easier for idiots to ingest nonsense and propagate their stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post

I agree,

The report says data is collected from 2274 UK adults 18+ via online interviews - my guess is a fairly high proportion of the people willing to be interviewed about conspiracy theories are likely to be the ones who believe some conspiracy theories... "normal" people will keep on scrolling so to extrapolate the numbers up to saying things like "a quarter of the population" is pretty inaccurate - but that's the media

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/policy-institu...-uk-public.pdf
            Self selecting nonsense, but at least it provides ammunition for the locals here to assert their intellectual prowess and disdain over people who are "thick as mince".

Comment

It may not be conspiracy but it is happening. 10% foreign born which has accelerated since the turn of the century. It may just be incompetence.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk...20is%20British.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Dubious about those figures too. Not remotely representative of people I know.

Doubt all conspiracy theories are false, people will rig things to suit themselves, but some, like covid or climate change require a totally impossible degree of cooperation. Would the West, Russia and China, Israel, Iran and Arab nations, different companies making the vaccinations and government at all levels controlled by different parties, really have cooperated in a covid hoax?
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
                  As George Carlin said: think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that.

Global social and mass media just makes it easier for idiots to ingest nonsense and propagate their stupidity.
                  Conspiracy theorists aren't necessarily stupid. Many of them are highly educated and in professional jobs like surgeons, solicitors, etc.

But as others have said, this survey seems like utter bunk.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post

Wrong. Ten people. One with IQ 90, the other with IQ 130. Mean IQ is 126, median is 130, mode is 130. Geometric mean ~125.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X