• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much is a fully remote role worth to you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I can do business and relate with my client better but then I work in service so this interaction is more important than a coder.

I'd just look at each gig on it's merits and decide. WFH is only a bonus because I can include gigs I wouldn't normally commute to, I don't see WFH as the norm. For me there are a lot more factors to consider before WFH becomes a sticking point and factors in to taking the gig or not.
    I'm similar to NLUK, WFH is a nice to have but about 6th on my list of criteria when assessing a potential new gig.

I think the type of work people do and their personalities are factors for a relative preference for WFH. I'm a borderline extrovert (i.e. I get energy from being with other people rather than an introvert who tends to be more inward looking and prefers more solitude or smaller groups.) I'm not a techie and my line of work tends to mean a high proportion of one to one interactions which I usually prefer face to face. The thought of never going to the office seems alien to me.

Conversely, I know contractors who much prefer WFH because they like the quiet and can concentrate for longer periods on the tasks in hand.

Comment

Yes it all depends on the type of person you are and where you are in life.

For me, an introvert in my late 30's with a small kid and a dog that can't be left alone and doesn't like other dogs, the ability of WFH is one of the main if not the main thing I consider.

In the future when I'm older, the dog is dead and the kid is in school, I guess I'd be more open to go into the office a couple of days a week.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
        Conversely, I know contractors who much prefer WFH because they ike the quiet and can concentrate for longer periods on the tasks in hand can do f all and look for second gigs to double bill because they are out of the clients eye
        FTFY
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Currently 100% remote, direct no agency and best rate I've been on.

Work is dull as dishwater mind and I am having to put up with the company BOFH.

I don't miss commuting to an office, I'd happily do this until I retire. Can set a few processes off and go and cut the grass/plant some veg instead of sitting in an office.

I know it won't last, so keep invoicing and smell the roses.

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

In pure financial terms, if you're permie or inside IR35 and a higher rate tax payer, you need to earn almost twice your travel costs just to get to work. An annual season ticket would cost me around £5k, so I'd need to gross around £10k extra just to break even. Then there's the associated costs of getting lunch and coffee etc., if you have to do that.

Comment

To answer the question honestly, fully remote is worth more than any day rate.

Nothing good ever happens in offices, though I wouldn't really know I haven't been in one regularly since 1998.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Go blind with all the wanking
                FTFY!
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

With a 8-10 hour round trip to the office, I'll stick with the WFH.

Comment

I fully work from home which is good as the main office is a tulip journey 2.5 hours away. Have done the WFH off & on for decades.

With my work some of the stuff is best done face to face with the customers and post it notes on the wall, though many of those are in town so 1-2 hours travel and a meet up with mates for a pint on the way home!

Can do without the politics but miss the friendships sometimes. I meet up with previous colleagues for beers.

Just looking for a new job and there does seem to be a desperation to get people back to the office regardless of their opinion.

I see it as the cost should compensate for the hours travelling and the fare. so >£100 a day makes sense.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
                      In pure financial terms, if you're permie or inside IR35 and a higher rate tax payer, you need to earn almost twice your travel costs just to get to work. An annual season ticket would cost me around £5k
                      yes but this is just if you are going to the office 5 days a week. Do you still need an annual season ticket if you go to the office 1-2 days a week (which is becoming the golden standard)?

Then there's the associated costs of getting lunch and coffee etc., if you have to do that.
                      Yeah good point, it's not just about the commute. I just checked my monzo and the last time I went to the office I spent £30 overall (public transport, coffees, lunch).

Comment

Working...
                      X