• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much is a fully remote role worth to you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

When you work for top end companies certain standards are expected.

You can't whip out a Billy Bear Sausage Sandwich and bag of own brand crisps at lunchtime.
    OMG, I really hope you're joking. You'd let someone else's food snobbery drive your decision making?

Nothing better than a bag of Pom Bears.

Comment

When you work for top end companies certain standards are expected.

You can't whip out a Billy Bear Sausage Sandwich and bag of own brand crisps
      at lunchtime.
      Really? I've worked at five FTSE100/Fortune 500 companies in recent times and two of those were in super swanky offices in central London. I honestly think nobody gave a toss about what I had for lunch. Another company I worked for is in Canary Wharf and again, I don't think anybody was watching what people brought in for their lunch.

Maybe investment banking is different?!?
      Last edited by edison; 12 May 2023, 14:55.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

Really? I've worked at five FTSE100/Fortune 500 companies in recent times and two of those were in super swanky offices in central London. I honestly think nobody gave a toss about what I had for lunch. Another company I worked for is in Canary Wharf and again, I don't think anybody was watching what people brought in for their lunch.

Maybe investment banking is different?!?
        nah the the Dude had kipper sandwiches!
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Client has indicated that we will be moving from two to three days a week in the office.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking/amphetamines/sniffing glue/look for a new contract.

Comment

My client (public sector) is slowly implementing a 1 day a month in the office. In the last 9 months I went in the office 3 times already and it's actually nice to chat in person with my colleagues, go for coffees outside, get lunch. I find it perfect for now but I wouldn't go in more often than once a month.

Comment

Client has indicated that we will be moving from two to three days a week in the office.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking/amphetamines/sniffing glue/look for a new contract.
              Imagine how much power having multiple clients would give you over being arbitrarily called into the crèche. Oh sweet irony.

Comment

Before covid I actually liked going into the office and being around people, but after 3 years of fully remote I couldn't go back in. If nothing else, I live alone and can't leave the dog all day.

This is precisely the reason I work for and American consultancy. It'd be a hell of a commute to get to any of their clients.

To answer your question of how much a fully remote is worth to me, for me to visit a client site I would be charging my hourly rate from when I leave my house until I get home.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

"Well, Clarice. Have the lambs stopped screaming?".

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post

Imagine how much power having multiple clients would give you over being arbitrarily called into the crèche. Oh sweet irony.
                    1. I don't get called arbitrarily into the office.
                    2. It would be nigh on impossible to engage multiple financial services clients.

Comment

Originally posted by Burns View Post
                      Before covid I actually liked going into the office and being around people, but after 3 years of fully remote I couldn't go back in. If nothing else, I live alone and can't leave the dog all day.

This is precisely the reason I work for and American consultancy. It'd be a hell of a commute to get to any of their clients.

To answer your question of how much a fully remote is worth to me, for me to visit a client site I would be charging my hourly rate from when I leave my house until I get home.
                      I know lots of people with dogs now who have left jobs or refused to return (perm) when asked to be back in the office.
                      New world order.

Comment

Working...
                      X