• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much is a fully remote role worth to you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    When I get contacted for a role, the first thing I want to know about is the working arrangements. If the client is adamant to have me in the office 1-2 days a week, I want £100 per day more.

Having said that, I would never commute more than 2 days a week and I would never commute for longer than 1.5hr one way so I don't even want to discuss those roles.

I just turned down £100pd less to go fully remote.

I am already starting to regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

Why the regret?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        There's no rate I would accept in exchange for a tulipty commute, but I have no problem with visiting a client site as needed.
        +1
        Especially where the client site is somewhere interesting, but these days I look to stay overnight for any client site visits.
        No on-the-day return travel, but then I'm not 'handy' for any major cities.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

Why the regret?
          I was offered £100 a day less than my current role to be fully remote and my mercenary contractor brain couldn't take that sort of hit.

If I was rational I would have realised that maybe an extra grand a month net isn't worth the grief of a commute and micromanagement.
          Last edited by TheDude; 10 May 2023, 12:28.

Comment

The problem is not the on-site work. The problem is the micro-manager. It would take a heap load of £ for me to work with such a person.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

You said 10% in your initial post, so that means you're on around £1k a day? For these higher rates you have to put up with a bit of cr@p at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                The problem is not the on-site work. The problem is the micro-manager. It would take a heap load of £ for me to work with such a person.
                Yeah and I don't really see that being solved by WFH?
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Yeah and I don't really see that being solved by WFH?
                  True. In a permie job I once had a nightmare manager based in another office and she was still pestering me with meeting requests just to "catch up" and for me to update her on what I had been doing that day. Hated it and left within a few months. The office was great though, free lunches 2 days a week, free fruit, sodas and coffees.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    There's no rate I would accept in exchange for a tulipty commute, but I have no problem with visiting a client site as needed. In reality, that almost never happens because I don't work with UK clients anymore. That said, WFH can be easily oversold - the interaction with people is worth something. Of course, if there's no interaction and you're sitting in a cubicle engaged in virtual meetings with client bods from other client sites, then it's worth nothing. In short, it depends (except for the commuting part).
                    Totally this. To be honest I still see remote as a benefit and not the norm like most seem to. I actually like working away in the week and did so for nearly three years up to the pandemic. Stay somewhere nice, SWMBO came to see me, made a good weekend of it and actually helped us so don't mind staying away. If I can WFH a few days then happy days. I'm pulling a rate of over 100k a year which I'm forever thankful of so will pull my weight for that type of money. Also consider it's short term. So I do it for 3, 6, 12 months. As soon as I leave the gig it's ancient history and I've got 100k from it. No biggie.

I also believe interaction is important and really enjoying going in to my client two days a week at the moment. If they mandated more I wouldn't bat an eyelid. Even if a gig was remote but commutable I'd be asking to go in from time to time. I can do business and relate with my client better but then I work in service so this interaction is more important than a coder.

Maybe I'm just not as good as some people on here and have the opportunities that I could get shirty of WFH but for me I'd just look at each gig on it's merits and decide. WFH is only a bonus because I can include gigs I wouldn't normally commute to, I don't see WFH as the norm. For me there are a lot more factors to consider before WFH becomes a sticking point and factors in to taking the gig or not.
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 10 May 2023, 13:44.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

After 12 months with CientCo in a solely WFH role I recently extended my contract and increased my daily rate by 20% due to a request to provide on site development support for a maximum of 2 days per week. ClientCo is 175 miles from my home office and is a tulipty commute. If ClientCo wishes to increase on site support it will cost them an additional 10% rate increase per additional day - whether on site or not.

Hopefully this will dissuade them from wanting me on site full time. That and my BO!
                      Last edited by Zigenare; 10 May 2023, 13:57.
                      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                      X