• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How much is a fully remote role worth to you?"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Protagoras View Post

Plus expenses, of course!
    We know a song about that!

Leave a comment:

• Protagoras
    replied
    Originally posted by Burns View Post
    To answer your question of how much a fully remote is worth to me, for me to visit a client site I would be charging my hourly rate from when I leave my house until I get home.
    Plus expenses, of course!

Leave a comment:

• saptastic
    replied
    Originally posted by Burns View Post
    Before covid I actually liked going into the office and being around people, but after 3 years of fully remote I couldn't go back in. If nothing else, I live alone and can't leave the dog all day.

This is precisely the reason I work for and American consultancy. It'd be a hell of a commute to get to any of their clients.

To answer your question of how much a fully remote is worth to me, for me to visit a client site I would be charging my hourly rate from when I leave my house until I get home.
    I know lots of people with dogs now who have left jobs or refused to return (perm) when asked to be back in the office.
    New world order.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post

Imagine how much power having multiple clients would give you over being arbitrarily called into the crèche. Oh sweet irony.
    1. I don't get called arbitrarily into the office.
    2. It would be nigh on impossible to engage multiple financial services clients.

Leave a comment:

• BillHicksRIP
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

"Well, Clarice. Have the lambs stopped screaming?".

Leave a comment:

• Burns
    replied
    Before covid I actually liked going into the office and being around people, but after 3 years of fully remote I couldn't go back in. If nothing else, I live alone and can't leave the dog all day.

This is precisely the reason I work for and American consultancy. It'd be a hell of a commute to get to any of their clients.

Leave a comment:

• TheGreenBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDude View Post
    Client has indicated that we will be moving from two to three days a week in the office.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking/amphetamines/sniffing glue/look for a new contract.
    Imagine how much power having multiple clients would give you over being arbitrarily called into the crèche. Oh sweet irony.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    My client (public sector) is slowly implementing a 1 day a month in the office. In the last 9 months I went in the office 3 times already and it's actually nice to chat in person with my colleagues, go for coffees outside, get lunch. I find it perfect for now but I wouldn't go in more often than once a month.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    Client has indicated that we will be moving from two to three days a week in the office.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking/amphetamines/sniffing glue/look for a new contract.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by edison View Post

Really? I've worked at five FTSE100/Fortune 500 companies in recent times and two of those were in super swanky offices in central London. I honestly think nobody gave a toss about what I had for lunch. Another company I worked for is in Canary Wharf and again, I don't think anybody was watching what people brought in for their lunch.

Maybe investment banking is different?!?
    nah the the Dude had kipper sandwiches!

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied

When you work for top end companies certain standards are expected.

You can't whip out a Billy Bear Sausage Sandwich and bag of own brand crisps
    at lunchtime.
    Really? I've worked at five FTSE100/Fortune 500 companies in recent times and two of those were in super swanky offices in central London. I honestly think nobody gave a toss about what I had for lunch. Another company I worked for is in Canary Wharf and again, I don't think anybody was watching what people brought in for their lunch.

Maybe investment banking is different?!?
    Last edited by edison; 12 May 2023, 14:55.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied

You can't whip out a Billy Bear Sausage Sandwich and bag of own brand crisps at lunchtime.
    OMG, I really hope you're joking. You'd let someone else's food snobbery drive your decision making?

Nothing better than a bag of Pom Bears.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

You don't have to pay for breakfast and lunch when you go into the office. Do you go out to buy those when you WFH?

You can't whip out a Billy Bear Sausage Sandwich and bag of own brand crisps at lunchtime.

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

I didn't say he said he had to. But, he was totting up the cost of going into the office, and included optional expenses into that. Those are his choices, not the cost of working from an office.
    * Taps the title of this post *

"How much is a fully remote role worth to you?"

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

He didn't say he had to, he said that's what he spent.
    I didn't say he said he had to. But, he was totting up the cost of going into the office, and included optional expenses into that. Those are his choices, not the cost of working from an office.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X