• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ETIAS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Youth fought in 2 world wars.
    You didn't.

Age is no guarantee of wisdom, as you are self evident.

I hope my "immature attitudes" don't change much - trying to work with, not against others, treating people fairly, not pre-judging them based on their nationality, religion, skin colour, ability, etc, but based on who they as an individual, and trying to learn from history, rather than re-write it to suit.

But if we must go down your route of "send them home", let's start with the Normans and the Saxons.
    Actually the average age of soldiers at the start of WWI was 30+

https://www.tommy1418.com/wwi-facts-...es--myths.html

Average age would have been around 30+ in 1914 (original BEF), later, it would go as low as 18 (many lied about their age in order to enlist) & as high as 51 years of age (again, some lied).
    Average age of Death = 27 hardly 'young'.

WW2 average age was 26.

But if we must go down your route of "send them home", let's start with the Normans and the Saxons.
    If you look carefully most people recommending immigration control like the idea of a points based immigration policy just not a cross channel illegal river taxi. Also if you want immigration you have to build and fund the facilities & services that the immigrants will use.

Now the SNP would like a send em home policy for the Normans & Saxons.
    Last edited by vetran; 23 November 2022, 16:16.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      Average age of Death = 27 hardly 'young'.

I would say that 27 is a young age to die.
      Certainly if you consider that the average life expectancy in 1920 was 56 for men (52 in 1910), then dying at half the average would count as young.
      Life expectancy today is around 81 years, which makes 27 = 1/3 of your life. Definitely too young to die.

And if 27 isn't young, then is it middle age or old, since those tend to be the 3 categories that adults are put into.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I find it wonderfully apt that Albanians do not require any paperwork to arrive in the UK via the English Channel, but they do for the rest of Europe.

Who needs an ETIAS travel authorisation

Click image for larger version

Name:	Group%2046%20%281%29.png?itok=3F4HF8F0.png
Views:	114
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	4243456
        First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
          I find it wonderfully apt that Albanians do not require any paperwork to arrive in the UK via the English Channel, but they do for the rest of Europe.

Who needs an ETIAS travel authorisation

Click image for larger version

Name:	Group%2046%20%281%29.png?itok=3F4HF8F0.png
Views:	114
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	4243456
          Interesting that they aren't sent home by the French.
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
            Not sure they can reach much of the rest of Europe via the English Channel.

Comment

I would say that 27 is a young age to die.
              Certainly if you consider that the average life expectancy in 1920 was 56 for men (52 in 1910), then dying at half the average would count as young.
              Life expectancy today is around 81 years, which makes 27 = 1/3 of your life. Definitely too young to die.

And if 27 isn't young, then is it middle age or old, since those tend to be the 3 categories that adults are put into.
              Any Age is too young to die normally in war. But actually to get to 27 as an average means a lot of older people died when many 19 year olds were dying. Also the age groups changed as the war progressed initially they were professional soldiers and then there was a massive recruitment drive which led to teh perception that so many teenagers were dying.

Well if the life expectancy is 52 then its pretty much middle aged.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

You need to look at life expectancy in terms of infant mortality. It was around 40% dying in their first year or two at the turn of the last century which has an effect on the average lifespan. Plenty of 80 year old in cemeteries even in the 1700s.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  You need to look at life expectancy in terms of infant mortality. It was around 40% dying in their first year or two at the turn of the last century which has an effect on the average lifespan. Plenty of 80 year old in cemeteries even in the 1700s.
                  Life expectancy? Have a look at this...
                  https://www.statista.com/statistics/...gdom-all-time/

From the website...
                  Life expectancy in the United Kingdom was below 39 years in the year 1765, and over the course of the next two and a half centuries, it is expected to have increased by more than double, to 81.1 by the year 2020. Although life expectancy has generally increased throughout the UK's history, there were several times where the rate deviated from its previous trajectory. These changes were the result of smallpox epidemics in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, new sanitary and medical advancements throughout time (such as compulsory vaccination), and the First world War and Spanish Flu epidemic in the 1910s.
                  Last edited by Zigenare; 24 November 2022, 08:53.
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Life expectancy? Have a look at this...
                    https://www.statista.com/statistics/...gdom-all-time/

From the website...
                    That's what I said. Natal mortality rates and children dying young through the lack of immunisations drive down the average life expectancy. If you get to puberty and stay fairly fit - which people were compared to us modern lardarses - you could easily live another 70 years, wars and illness excepted. It's the lack of things that kill you these days that gives us our life expectancy rates.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

How was that an insult ... you are in the minority on here in so many ways. That's easy to see from what you post and the response you get. I'm sorry you don't like that fact, but that's your issue to deal with not mine.

And I totally concur, I'm hardly Oscar Wilde .... whatever that means. I'm more of a bald, hunkier, better looking, Daniel Craig.
                      In which case the ETTC make-up team did an amazing job of making you look a bit like Sean Dyche.

His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                      X