• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No Flights to Rwanda

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Flights to Rwanda

Is this the real reason why Suella Braverman resigned?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...rivilege-style

A charter airline hired to remove people seeking refuge in the UK to Rwanda has pulled out of the scheme after pressure from campaigners.

A plane operated by Privilege Style first attempted to fly asylum seekers to the east African country in June but was grounded by an 11th hour ruling by the European court of human rights.

The Mallorca-based carrier had become known as the UK government’s “airline of last resort” for its willingness to conduct deportation flights that other airlines refused.

But after an email campaign by torture survivors and refugee organisations, Privilege Style has said it will no longer operate flights to Rwanda.

The development will leave the UK government in a fix. Two other charter airlines that previously conducted deportation flights, Titan Airways and AirTanker, have already ruled themselves out of the scheme.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

No soon we will put them on the new ship "The pride of Albania". Worst case scenario they can go out on military transports.

Deportations need to happen, its clear that many of the arrivals are bogus. I suggest we find out who complained and build a secure unit for bogus asylum seekers at the bottom of their garden. I remember when the council wanted to build a Bail hostel in sunny Surrey you would have thought that they had suggested deflowering all 15 year olds on the village green.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      No soon we will put them on the new ship "The pride of Albania". Worst case scenario they can go out on military transports.

Deportations need to happen, its clear that many of the arrivals are bogus. I suggest we find out who complained and build a secure unit for bogus asylum seekers at the bottom of their garden. I remember when the council wanted to build a Bail hostel in sunny Surrey you would have thought that they had suggested deflowering all 15 year olds on the village green.
      Absolutely. It's just unsustainable.

I was pretty shocked to find the Gov website tracking this activity
      https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...ts-weekly-data
      Middle column is number of migrants, last column is boats. 19 boats and 856 people in one day!! The cost operation to intercept, bring them in and then temporarily house them must be eye watering let alone the long term impact. Deterent is the only way.
      10 October 2022 536 13
      11 October 2022 374 7
      12 October 2022 856 19
      13 October 2022 0 0
      14 October 2022 494 11
      15 October 2022 114 3
      16 October 2022 0 0
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Absolutely. It's just unsustainable.

I was pretty shocked to find the Gov website tracking this activity
        https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...ts-weekly-data
        Middle column is number of migrants, last column is boats. 19 boats and 856 people in one day!! The cost operation to intercept, bring them in and then temporarily house them must be eye watering let alone the long term impact. Deterent is the only way.
        10 October 2022 536 13
        11 October 2022 374 7
        12 October 2022 856 19
        13 October 2022 0 0
        14 October 2022 494 11
        15 October 2022 114 3
        16 October 2022 0 0
        Over the last 25-30 years Germany has been accepting between 0.5 million and 1 million refugees every year. It's still a lot wealthier than the UK, and the public services are in far better shape.

I find it amusing that people in the UK get hung up about a few hundred migrants. I blame the Daily Mail

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Deterent is the only way.
          Totally.
          Tell them that when they get here they are going to have to work, not like the current policy of putting them up in hotels and other privately run establishments.
          If people say they are coming to work, then let them work. Let them earn money, let them pay taxes, let them contribute to the economy.
          The government policy is to prevent them from working and then the rest of us pay.
          Those with qualifications & skills should be employed using those skills.
          Those with none should be helping the farmers pick food, etc.

We're told there's a labour shortage in the country, and then we have all these young, healthy men coming here, being told that they won't have to do anything.
          If the government were actually interested in joined up thinking, they could solve two "problems" at once.
          The third part of the issue would be solved if the government was prepared to work with neighbouring countries, but that won't happen as the current teaching is that the neighbouring countries are entirely to blame.

…Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Over the last 25-30 years Germany has been accepting between 0.5 million and 1 million refugees every year. It's still a lot wealthier than the UK, and the public services are in far better shape.

I find it amusing that people in the UK get hung up about a few hundred migrants. I blame the Daily Mail
            I find it amusing that you have no idea. To date we have rescued and allowed in the equivalent of the population of a medium sized city, not counting all the legal and genuine incomers (and yes, there are quite a lot of them as well). Why should you and me pay for them when they have no right or reason to be here in the first place?
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              You sure of that? Ours look pretty good from the outside as a casual glance. A recent poll showed 1 in 2 people in Germany are against current immigration levels and that's going to get worse. Germany is 1.5 times the size of the UK and the habital area is a much higher percentage. The rise of the far right groups across Europe also shows a growning trend of unhappiness. I'm sure they may appear to be the most welcoming country at the moment and their infrastructure can handle it all that is for now. It can only get worse as time go on and more come, which they will if we keep on with the open arms liberal rhetoric.
              And how is that supposed to be a measure argument that can be taken seriously? You quote a year on year figure on one hand and then a flippent meaningless number of the hunder. That's a few hundred... per day... just crossing the channel. No other entry methods considered and that number has tripled in 4 years.

To think we don't have a huge problem, even if it isn't right now, is just utter madness.

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You sure of that? Ours look pretty good from the outside as a casual glance.
                I would suggest you read the international press

I'm alright Jack

Comment

200,000 a year net since 2011

https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.u...d-from-the-uk/

House building is about 40,000 a year so its 5 per property with a normal occupation of 2.2. so we have half the number of properties we need, look at mout councils and they are short of school places.

Sadly immigrants seem to be over represented in crime statisitics both causing and suffering.

Yeah its going great.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    200,000 a year net since 2011

https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.u...d-from-the-uk/

House building is about 40,000 a year so its 5 per property with a normal occupation of 2.2. so we have half the number of properties we need, look at mout councils and they are short of school places.

Sadly immigrants seem to be over represented in crime statisitics both causing and suffering.

Yeah its going great.
                    So what are you and your glorious party doing about it, apart from high profile totally ineffectual PR stunts like the flights to Rwanda that doesn't solve a problem but looks good to the Wail readers and the Tories can claim they are trying something even if they know it's like p-ing in the wind.

There is plenty of lower level work in the UK, but very few people willing to do it. Most of the immigrants yes are probably economic ... seems a pretty simple solution there .. let them work and add to the economy. But then we had that with the Eastern Europeans who came here and the Wail readers were up in arms that they were taking jobs that UK born people wouldn't do anyway.

We have a chance here to help the UK economy and make the world a slightly better place for a number of people, and yet we choose not to. Very sad.
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                    X