• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should the Human Rights Act be repealed?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should the Human Rights Act be repealed?

A Parliamentary mini survey here…

https://forms.office.com/Pages/Respo...F-54DA0626F2E0
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    A Parliamentary mini survey here…

https://forms.office.com/Pages/Respo...F-54DA0626F2E0
    All the publicity about the Human Rights Act is negative and usually badly interoperated by the media Abuses of the Act are few are far between. Conversely, anyone trying to enforce their human Right is an uphill and expensive struggle. Most people who have suffered abuse just give up at the first stage.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Funny thing when the UK government is taken to the European Court of Human Rights about 98% of the cases are thrown out/dismissed or lost by the claimant.

In other words the judges in the various legal jurisdictions in the UK make safe judgements.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

All the publicity about the Human Rights Act is negative and usually badly interoperated by the media Abuses of the Act are few are far between. Conversely, anyone trying to enforce their human Right is an uphill and expensive struggle. Most people who have suffered abuse just give up at the first stage.
        Dominic Raab has stopped the publication of the consultation paper on this, so Parliament has decided to survey the public directly.

I’m going to do my best to read it (idle at leat some of it, the form gives links) before answering the 3 or 4 questions.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Funny that the UK had one of the world's best Human Rights records before somebody (naming no names) added the EUCHR into out legislation...

Undoing it will be difficult since a lot of new laws since then have been written to meet the EUCHR framework rather than the various pre-existing laws we used to use to the same effect. A good start would be to give the UK primacy on appeals, rather than the EU's Court of Human Rights; after all, we aren't in the EU.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Funny that the UK had one of the world's best Human Rights records before somebody (naming no names) added the EUCHR into out legislation...

Undoing it will be difficult since a lot of new laws since then have been written to meet the EUCHR framework rather than the various pre-existing laws we used to use to the same effect. A good start would be to give the UK primacy on appeals, rather than the EU's Court of Human Rights; after all, we aren't in the EU.
            "Russia and the UK"

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/the-facts/what...urt-of-justice
            Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 16 July 2022, 09:07.
            Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

You do know that the ECHR has nothing to do with the EU don't you?

And that there is actually another court that is linked to the EU?

As from your post is seems that you don't know the difference.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

...after all, we aren't in the EU.
                The EUCHR. That's a new on on me. The ECHR - the European Court of Human Rights, is not an EU institution. It's part of the Council of Europe, of which the UK is still a member.

Yellow = founder members
                Blue = subsequent members
                Pink = former members.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

It's not the EUCHR, it's the ECHR.
                  Why do you hate Europe so much?
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

It's not the EUCHR, it's the ECHR.
                    Why do you hate Europe so much?
                    I don't hate Europe. And I'm prone to typos.

What I do hate is being governed by an unelected bureaucracy of statists, and a domestic civil service that gold plates every little diktat they come up with.

AS for Human Rights, ,what I was trying to say - very badly - was that incorporating the EU's version of the laws to enact the concepts of the ECHR was never necessary, since we already met all its criteria. All that inclusion has managed to do is provide a dozen get out clauses for the unscrupulous to exploit.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X