• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Should the Human Rights Act be repealed?"

Collapse

• malvolio
    replied
    Not right either. Party hacks and researchers take notice of your references for the political judgements. The Civil Service does the numbers.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

You forgot YouGov ...
    You're correct. I left out Nadhim Zahawi's business. How stupid of me to forget it.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Cambridge Analytica, Daily Telegraph, Daily Mail and other government advisors
    You forgot YouGov and focus groups.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

A common fallacy. You need to go back a step.

Government policy is almost wholly driven by political considerations, but also by statistical analysis of trends, short and long term economic factors, and to a large extent, upcoming SWOT analyses that they use to inform their decision making.

Who do you think prepares them?
    Cambridge Analytica, Daily Telegraph, Daily Mail and other government advisors

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    The government makes policy and the civil service job is to carry out that policy.

If you don't like how a civil service department is carrying out a government policy then contact the minister(s) in charge of that department.
    A common fallacy. You need to go back a step.

Government policy is almost wholly driven by political considerations, but also by statistical analysis of trends, short and long term economic factors, and to a large extent, upcoming SWOT analyses that they use to inform their decision making.

Who do you think prepares them?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

I don't hate Europe. And I'm prone to typos.

What I do hate is being governed by an unelected bureaucracy of statists, and a domestic civil service that gold plates every little diktat they come up with.
    The government makes policy and the civil service job is to carry out that policy.

If you don't like how a civil service department is carrying out a government policy then contact the minister(s) in charge of that department.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    What I do hate is being governed by an unelected bureaucracy of statists, and a domestic civil service that gold plates every little diktat they come up with.
    The governing... well that's debateable. But the domestic civil service is bonkers.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

Once would be a typo. Multiple times shows how your brain is wired.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

It's not the EUCHR, it's the ECHR.
    Why do you hate Europe so much?

AS for Human Rights, ,what I was trying to say - very badly - was that incorporating the EU's version of the laws to enact the concepts of the ECHR was never necessary, since we already met all its criteria. All that inclusion has managed to do is provide a dozen get out clauses for the unscrupulous to exploit.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Funny that the UK had one of the world's best Human Rights records before somebody (naming no names) added the EUCHR into out legislation...

Undoing it will be difficult since a lot of new laws since then have been written to meet the EUCHR framework rather than the various pre-existing laws we used to use to the same effect. A good start would be to give the UK primacy on appeals, rather than the EU's Court of Human Rights; after all, we aren't in the EU.
    It's not the EUCHR, it's the ECHR.
    Why do you hate Europe so much?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Funny that the UK had one of the world's best Human Rights records before somebody (naming no names) added the EUCHR into out legislation...
    ...after all, we aren't in the EU.
    The EUCHR. That's a new on on me. The ECHR - the European Court of Human Rights, is not an EU institution. It's part of the Council of Europe, of which the UK is still a member.

Yellow = founder members
    Blue = subsequent members
    Pink = former members.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

Undoing it will be difficult since a lot of new laws since then have been written to meet the EUCHR framework rather than the various pre-existing laws we used to use to the same effect. A good start would be to give the UK primacy on appeals, rather than the EU's Court of Human Rights; after all, we aren't in the EU.
    You do know that the ECHR has nothing to do with the EU don't you?

And that there is actually another court that is linked to the EU?

As from your post is seems that you don't know the difference.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied

"Russia and the UK"

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/the-facts/what...urt-of-justice
    Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 16 July 2022, 09:07.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

All the publicity about the Human Rights Act is negative and usually badly interoperated by the media Abuses of the Act are few are far between. Conversely, anyone trying to enforce their human Right is an uphill and expensive struggle. Most people who have suffered abuse just give up at the first stage.
    Dominic Raab has stopped the publication of the consultation paper on this, so Parliament has decided to survey the public directly.

I’m going to do my best to read it (idle at leat some of it, the form gives links) before answering the 3 or 4 questions.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X