• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Electric car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    A friend has got his first car recently and went EV but some low-end model. He seems pretty happy even though he has no charge-point at home, but his workplace does.
    That's a bit risky though, isn't it? I wouldn't buy a car based on the facilities my job offered as what happens if I lose that job? Does his employer charge him for using their charge-point - it's a huge saving if they don't. Losing that job means the car can't be charged as easily or as cheaply. It sort of makes you feel like you have to stay with that company because you've tied yourself to a perk that you really need.

I'm sure the work place facilities weren't the sole reason for him selecting the car but I'd be very wary of using those facilities as a justification factor in such a decision.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

That's a bit risky though, isn't it? I wouldn't buy a car based on the facilities my job offered as what happens if I lose that job? Does his employer charge him for using their charge-point - it's a huge saving if they don't. Losing that job means the car can't be charged as easily or as cheaply. It sort of makes you feel like you have to stay with that company because you've tied yourself to a perk that you really need.

I'm sure the work place facilities weren't the sole reason for him selecting the car but I'd be very wary of using those facilities as a justification factor in such a decision.
      I suppose you can add "has charging point" to your criteria for a workplace. Around here it's mostly street parking and there is no infrastructure yet. He says it's surprisingly easy to find places to charge though. And he could just sell the car if he changed job...
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I suppose you can add "has charging point" to your criteria for a workplace. Around here it's mostly street parking and there is no infrastructure yet. He says it's surprisingly easy to find places to charge though. And he could just sell the car if he changed job...
        its £1k all in to get a charger fitted.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

But you need a drive or garage to connect it to. You can't have a cable dangling across a pavement.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

But you need a drive or garage to connect it to. You can't have a cable dangling across a pavement.
            If you can't have a charging point at home, I suppose you could use a petrol or diesel generator.
            Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

You can't have a cable dangling across a pavement.
              I've seen people using cable protectors on the pavement, rather than just dangling the cable loose. I'm not sure of the legality, but this article implies that it's probably ok:
              Can I run a cable to charge an electric car across the pavement? | This is Money

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post

I've seen people using cable protectors on the pavement, rather than just dangling the cable loose. I'm not sure of the legality, but this article implies that it's probably ok:
                Can I run a cable to charge an electric car across the pavement? | This is Money
                You might be asking to get sued.
                Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Yeah I guess so. It's just another thing to think about when looking for your next workplace. It used to just be "parking" now it's "parking plus..."

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

As I said it's street parking on a terrace. You don't even know where exactly you'll be parking. Sometimes it's the other side of the street.
                    And it's a rental property.

Originally posted by hobnob View Post

I'm actually quite surprised that this is allowed and councils don't simply take the "you can't run cables on our pavement" position.
                    But round many areas you have other concerns like bored kids trying to unplug your car, vandalism to the charging point, someone pinching the extension lead/cable protector.
                    I presume you can turn off your charge point to stop cheeky sods using it?

The big transition will be when councils install infrastructure in pavements/roads. That needs to be done at scale not per-household, but will be transformational.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

You can.

Someone walking distance from me has their charging cable going across the pavement to their house. They do put a hard cover over it e.g. like a utility company does if they are covering a small but longish hole, so you can't trip over it and a wheelchair etc can go
                      over it.

The main problem they have is agreeing with their 3 other neighbours that they get the space in front of their house. Luckily one of the neighbours has a drive and uses it, but they still have to negotiate with the 2 other neighbours and then there is an issue of randoms parking there.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X