• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Electric car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone getting away with it isn't proof it's OK or will work for everyone. The link above seems to suggest it's OK but if people complain - say your neighbours get irritated by your demand for 'your spot' - that might change. Or if your neighbours all get EVs and now there's a cable every few metres down the road, the council might decide that's OTT.

Of course you might decide you may as well do it until someone stops you, since the consequences are minimal. Probably reasonable.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I suppose you could have an overhead cable from an upstairs window to the car, so people on the pavement don't have to walk over it.

Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
        I suppose you could have an overhead cable from an upstairs window to the car, so people on the pavement don't have to walk over it.

We looked into this when we had a garage across the back street from us. We wanted to get permission to lay a cable in a trench. Ended up getting a ground cable protector but then only a couple of cars a day drove over it.
        An overhead cable was something we looked at but it seemed more risky some window cleaner would get tangled in it or something - I can't remember if we even found some rule on minimum height.

Main thing is you end up looking like some hicksville town with cables all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

But you need a drive or garage to connect it to. You can't have a cable dangling across a pavement.
          INKSPE....
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            You'll be playing 'electric car roulette', in as much that you won't be paying fuel duty (plus VAT) so in the short term you'll be quids in. In the long term, your batteries will be degrading, as all li-ion batteries do, so you need to make the right call as to when to sell the car to the poor sod who will end up with a car with almost dead batteries which is effectively worthless. The days of being able to buy a cheap second hand car (sub £5000) are about to be very, very over.
            They gov have got us by the short and curlys,

Electric motorbikes I think will become more and more. Big demand for motorcycle instructors these days.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

its £1k all in to get a charger fitted.
              There is a government grant which gives 300 quid approx off the installation charge. Olev grant I believe. Chargers now require an internet connection so the charging point is registered with EV charging point manufacturer. This is all to do with the control the gov want so they can dictate when you charge and at what times of the day or night .

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                BTW: The electricity supply companies in California say that they cannot cope with the demand from EVs without building new coal fire power stations. Currently, they say that California must choose between home AC or EVs else there will be power cuts.
                There will be a lot of night time charging in the UK that's what they are pushing for. The max rating of a charging unit is 7kw capacity for a domestic dwelling.

Comment

Originally posted by Scorp1 View Post
                  There will be a lot of night time charging in the UK that's what they are pushing for. The max rating of a charging unit is 7kw capacity for a domestic dwelling.
                  I wonder in Cali if it's the opposite (or will be) since they have so much available solar energy.

Comment

Originally posted by Scorp1 View Post
                    I can think of a plan-B here. A service van with a quick charge generator to quick charge EV's at homes or those who are stranded.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

I can think of a plan-B here. A service van with a quick charge generator to quick charge EV's at homes or those who are stranded.
                      How big a generator are we talking about to quick charge an EV? The rapid chargers at service stations are what, about 50kW?

You might need a bigger van.
                      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Working...
                      X