• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Electric car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW: The electricity supply companies in California say that they cannot cope with the demand from EVs without building new coal fire power stations. Currently, they say that California must choose between home AC or EVs else there will be power cuts.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
      What I didn't know until I started looking in EVs is that there are loads of charging points, free of charge, mostly at big supermarkets
      Not going to last with the price of our diminishing supply of electricity rising and expect the tax on EV's to start rising to compensate for the diminishing ICE car related revenue

I am tempted by the incoming new Honda Civic e:HEV much less expensive that an EV and self charges

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
        What I didn't know until I started looking in EVs is that there are loads of charging points, free of charge, mostly at big supermarkets
        There are now plenty of stories in the press of people being fined for overstaying in a supermarket carpark due to using a charging point.

So a "free" charge ends up costing them £70-80.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

There are now plenty of stories in the press of people being fined for overstaying in a supermarket carpark due to using a charging point.

So a "free" charge ends up costing them £70-80.
          Finally a use for those daft "4 hour maximum parking" rules! You'd think the charging points would be time-limited but I suppose people would just switch between them.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            You need to factor in running costs though as well.
            True. If you do an average annual mileage at today's petrol prices, it might not take long to recoup the additional upfront cost.

Since I only do a few hundred miles a year, it wouldn't make much difference to me other than saving a couple of hundred quid road tax.
            Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 29 June 2022, 19:18.
            Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Finally a use for those daft "4 hour maximum parking" rules! You'd think the charging points would be time-limited but I suppose people would just switch between them.
              Some in London are 90 minutes or 2 hours.
              ​​​​​​
              It's to try and force you to use that supermarket only.

Even that doesn't work so you have to validate your receipt and possibly have a minimum spend - looking at you Sainsburys.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Some in London are 90 minutes or 2 hours.
                ​​​​​​
                It's to try and force you to use that supermarket only.

Even that doesn't work so you have to validate your receipt and possibly have a minimum spend - looking at you Sainsburys.
                2.5 hours at Tesco in Sluff but they did build it across the road from the high street you have to spend £5 in Tesco.

most places out of town its 2.5 hours with no purchase e.g.Homebase in Maidenhead
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

You'll be playing 'electric car roulette', in as much that you won't be paying fuel duty (plus VAT) so in the short term you'll be quids in. In the long term, your batteries will be degrading, as all li-ion batteries do, so you need to make the right call as to when to sell the car to the poor sod who will end up with a car with almost dead batteries which is effectively worthless. The days of being able to buy a cheap second hand car (sub £5000) are about to be very, very over.
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                    In the long term, your batteries will be degrading, as all li-ion batteries do, so you need to make the right call as to when to sell the car to the
                    poor sod who will end up with a car
                    I looked in to battery degradation a few years ago.

I read modern electric car batteries eg Tesla 3, are good for 300K miles. With not much in the way of degradation.

https://www.hotcars.com/this-is-how-...e-replacement/
                    Last edited by Fraidycat; 30 June 2022, 03:32.

Comment

Running costs are bound to go up once they become mainstream while car costs come down. I wonder if it will be a bit like solar panels where early adopters had the sweet spot of crazy sell tariffs which are now long-gone.

A friend has got his first car recently and went EV but some low-end model. He seems pretty happy even though he has no charge-point at home, but his workplace does.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X