• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

DOOM: Boris

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    DOOM: Boris

    "Brady won’t rule out another no-confidence vote on Johnson within a year

    Chair of the 1922 Committee leaves door open to rule change as William Hague says PM could be ousted by other means

    Boris Johnson could face the prospect of another no-confidence vote within a year after Graham Brady, chair of the 1922 Committee, refused to rule out changing the rules.

    Some Tory rebels hope that after the prime minister faced calls from 41% of his own MPs to quit, a second bid to depose him could come sooner than expected.

    Under the current rules of the 1922 Committee, a leader who wins a no-confidence vote is immune from facing another one for 12 months, meaning Johnson is likely to remain leader of the Conservatives until at least June 2023.

    However, the committee’s 18 officers are able to change the rules and cut the immunity period to six months or less."

    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-within-a-year

    Wow, how democratic - change of leader must lead to immediate General Election


    #2
    It's a bit of a puzzler. Bin Boris by messing with the rules meaning he can't re-stand as leader meaning they have nobody who could win an election.

    We all know politicians are narcissistic thickos, but they are going to wreck their cosy world for no real reason...
    Blog? What blog...?

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by malvolio View Post

      We all know politicians are narcissistic thickos, but they are going to wreck their cosy world for no real reason...
      You mean like Boris Johnson himself?

      https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a...nger-2rdzzc0tm

      https://www.independent.co.uk/climat...-b2097016.html
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

      Comment


        #4
        Boris didn't have a problem deposing Theresa May after she won her confidence vote with a bigger margin.
        I'm alright Jack

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          Boris didn't have a problem deposing Theresa May after she won her confidence vote with a bigger margin.
          She was a vote loser. It was only Corbyn kept her in charge.
          Blog? What blog...?

          Comment


            #6
            Boris is quite happy to change the rules so this would be somewhat poetic justice.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by malvolio View Post

              She was a vote loser. It was only Corbyn kept her in charge.
              You honestly think Johnson is still a vote winner? Evidence on the ground suggests the exact opposite. Agreed, it's not clear who would do any better out the options available, but it's also not clear that anyone would do significantly worse. Best guess: Tories are toast whoever leads them into the next election - they've had 12 years or so now, and we usually switch it up about then anyway.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by mattster View Post

                You honestly think Johnson is still a vote winner? Evidence on the ground suggests the exact opposite. Agreed, it's not clear who would do any better out the options available, but it's also not clear that anyone would do significantly worse. Best guess: Tories are toast whoever leads them into the next election - they've had 12 years or so now, and we usually switch it up about then anyway.
                Irrelevant to my comment, I didn't say that, I was talking about May

                But if you think the ideas-free vacuum that is Starmer is a better vote winner then fine, but prepare to be disillusioned.
                Blog? What blog...?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Closet Bojo groupie?
                  Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

                    Irrelevant to my comment, I didn't say that, I was talking about May

                    But if you think the ideas-free vacuum that is Starmer is a better vote winner then fine, but prepare to be disillusioned.
                    You certainly implied that BJ wasn't a "vote loser" in the same way that May was, but whatever.

                    I'm not super excited by Starmer but boring competence does have a certain appeal. More than the moral vacuum it is the utter uselessness and lack of any kind of policy direction at all that really does my head in with the current government.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X