• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you measure up?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you measure up?

Keep your waist to less than half your height, guidance says

People should be encouraged to measure their waist to check they don't have too much dangerous fat around their middle, updated guidelines say.

An adult's waist should be less than half their height to reduce health risks, health body NICE recommends.
    Is your waist technically where your belly button is - as this chap (or lady) is demonstrating? I thought your waist measurement was just above the hips... if you have any sort of a belly you'd get very different number.

So circumference/height is our new metric...
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Just did a quick rough waist measurement with string and it only comes up to my chest. Phew! Almost out of the danger zone!
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Waist measurement is fine. I'm just about 14 inches too short...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        I'm just about 14 inches too short...
        Aren't we all!
        But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Vetran is awfully quiet on this thread

That's more like it, the world is back to normal
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Is your waist technically where your belly button is - as this chap (or lady) is demonstrating? I thought your waist measurement was just above the hips... if you have any sort of a belly you'd get very different number.
            Quoting from the BBC article:
            "Explain to people that to measure their waist, they should find the bottom of their ribs and the top of their hips, wrap a tape measure around the waist midway between these points and breathe out naturally before taking the measurement,"

Comment

Originally posted by Warty View Post
              I wish I measured up to Vetran, his chap drags on the floor
              FTFY
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Only way that could be true is if you're a thalidomide survivor
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Perfect when using inches to measure waist and centimetres for height
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

FTFY
                    When was the last time you saw Little Vetty without using a mirror?
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                    X