• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Partygate (again)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partygate (again)

Originally posted by Beeb

Twenty fines will be issued as part of the police inquiry into Downing Street parties that breached Covid rules.

The police will not be saying who is fined or confirming which events the fixed penalty notices relate to.

However, Downing Street has said it would say if the prime minister is among the recipients.

Fixed penalty notices are a sanction for breaking the law, and mean a fine which needs to be paid within 28 days, or contested.

If someone chooses to contest the fine, the police will then review the case and decide whether to withdraw the fine or proceed the matter to court.

The police say there is still a "significant amount" of material to be assessed and that more fines could come in the future.
    So how long before all the names are leaked? Or shall we keep an eye on people who coincidentally resign?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I know that it's not only about the legal aspect, but IIRC these are fixed penalty notices so similar level of severity to a speeding fine? Which made me wonder, how often do ministers get speeding fines?

Comment

Apparently you can receive a £10K fine under a fix penalty fine.

We won't know if Carrie receives a fine or if the Cabinet Secretary receives one.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Apparently you can receive a £10K fine under a fix penalty fine.
          For Covid specifically you mean? Suppose that's what they used on pubs and raves who blatantly organised events during the strict lockdown periods, and celebs who had big parties?

Be fun if we got any of those but I think we'd know very soon if there were. It sounds these are all the 50 quid (or whatever it was) fines although if the same person was involved in several events could they get the multipliers, a bit like getting done by several traffic cameras on the same journey?

Comment

It's Sue Grays report we apparently need to keep an eye out for as it criticizes the leaders.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              For Covid specifically you mean? Suppose that's what they used on pubs and raves who blatantly organised events during the strict lockdown periods, and celebs who had big parties?

Be fun if we got any of those but I think we'd know very soon if there were. It sounds these are all the 50 quid (or whatever it was) fines although if the same person was involved in several events could they get the multipliers, a bit like getting done by several traffic cameras on the same journey?
              I rekon Boris & Co will be more than pleased to take the maximum hit, and have to fork out £10K each, because this will mollify the general public (as long as the fines are not paid out of public funds!) and be more likely to draw a line under it all.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                I know that it's not only about the legal aspect, but IIRC these are fixed penalty notices so similar level of severity to a speeding fine? Which made me wonder, how often do ministers get speeding fines?
                I would say that this situation is more comparable to the times (for it has happened more than once) where an MP gets a speeding fine, tries to get their spouse to take the blame to avoid the points, and then gets done for perverting the course of justice and has to resign.

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post

I would say that this situation is more comparable to the times (for it has happened more than once) where an MP gets a speeding fine, tries to get their spouse to take the blame to avoid the points, and then gets done for perverting the course of justice and has to resign.
                  You forgot the wife talking because she finds out he's been cheating for years....

Comment

How about this .... if you're a staff member, and the event was organised by your 'employer' as this seems to have been. And you feel like you should rock up to the employer organised event then get a fine ... where does that leave you, and the employer, legally?

They've asked you to go to an illegal event.
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                    X