• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UA doctor ordered staff to CASTRATE RU soldiers - later says NO WE WONT

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Paddy said in 1st sentence. Easy to take a balanced view when you are not involved but imagine what it's like when you are. Must be hard not to be consumed by hatred and do some awful things in these situations. Of course such things should be banned by international law but prosecutions should take full account of what the perpetrators have gone through.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post

Are you for real? Only one side is deliberately shelling civilian buildings including hospitals. The Ukrainians only 'crime' appears to be killing vastly more Russian troops than anyone expected, including Putin. I think you need to educate yourself on what a war crime is.
      Sadly when you put human beings into conflict some people won't respect the rules on both sides. We remember the Germans and Japanese because they organised their war crimes but the Allied troops in a few cases were guilty of war crimes. Sadly in bad situations bad people misbehave.

Russia as you say are organising the abuse, the Ukrainian doctor may be doing this out of hate.

We of course are not entirely innocent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allied...;s%20mausoleum.

and in Afghanistan

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-592381...%20no%20threat.

and Iraq

https://www.ecchr.eu/en/case/war-cri...orces-in-iraq/
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I can totally imagine it being said in anger/frustration. Much like a person saying "I'm going to kill that little tulip who kicked a football through my window". They don't expect to be taken literally but in the heat of the moment, taken out of context, or just heard by a person with an axe to grind and it all gets blown out of proportion.

Comment

OwlHoot What are you trying to actual achieve by this constant stream of drivel? Persuade people that you're right and they're wrong? Or just wind up the people you think are wrong?

Or is it so that TwoWolves will fall in love with you and agree to meet?
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            OwlHoot is probably wondering why Ukrainians civilians aren't surrendering to Russian soldiers
            I suspect he ain't too bothered what happens to them, so long as they don't come here!
            Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post

Are you for real? Only one side is deliberately shelling civilian buildings including hospitals. The Ukrainians only 'crime' appears to be killing vastly more Russian troops than anyone expected, including Putin. I think you need to educate yourself on what a war crime is.
              He was being sarcastic
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

I can't tell whether OH supports the invasion, or not, but he does appear to believe that Putin was justified to some extent. I'm just not sure how big the "some" actually is.
                I don't support the invasion or believe that Putin was morally justified. But I do think he was to some extent practically justified, due to recent US plotting in Ukraine for years, and Ukraine's misguided acceptance of this (which they had every right to do, and maybe couldn't realistically avoid - I really don't know).

When Machiavelli wrote his book The Prince, his advice to rulers on statecraft, he expressly said in the preface words to the effect "Most of this advice is not moral, or just. It is not what you _should_ do, to be virtuous, but what you _must_ do for your state to prosper or even survive."

One can't always judge state morality by the same criteria as personal morality, as some round here seem to believe or so desperately want to. It doesn't work like that.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

I do think he [Putin] was to some extent practically justified
                  I think that's all we need to know.

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    But I do think he was to some extent practically justified, due to recent US plotting in Ukraine for years, and Ukraine's misguided acceptance of this (which they had every right to do, and maybe couldn't realistically avoid - I really don't know).
                    The trouble with someone like Putin is, if they decide they're going to do something, they'll always find a way of justifying it. If necessary, they'll even make stuff up.

Without getting inside his head, we'll never really know his actual motivation for invading Ukraine, because we can't take anything he says at face value.
                    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Ok, the topic has converged on the main Ukraine thread, so I'll close it now.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X