• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just accepted a role outside IR35 - nervouse but excited

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick questions:
    Are you running two businesses or more? (e.g. a parent company, a contracting business and an R&D one) I am only asking because of the vague way you have answered some questions
    Who is your accountant?
    Who is giving you advice on how to run the business?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by meetpomo View Post
      I finally have a contract for at least 18 months - a role outside IR35 and offering a decent day rate.
      You have a contract for a potential 18 months but can be let go at any time.

In reality you have a contract for as long as your your timesheets continue to be approved and that may well be shorter than your notice period.

Comment

That is the holy grail indeed.

Good luck, we are all counting you.

qh
        He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

£5k for contractor insurance???
          You must be bleeding some very delicate radiators for that.

get an accountant. And double check that insurance as it sounds very high.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Hey guys, I think i've hit the holy grail - but I need some basic advice.

After about 10 years in employment and 6 months of running on my own, I finally have a contract for at least 18 months - a role outside IR35 and offering a decent day rate.

The New Role:
            1. Role is outside IR35
            2. I will be paid weekly - timesheet based via a company - they take a comission weekly from the employer - so when I work - they get paid as well and I dont pay them anything extra for the role
            3. The role is available for 18 months

My responsibilities:
            1. I will have to take out contractors insurance circa about 5k per annum
            2. Responsible for all PPE for the role
            3. Responsible for all IT equipment - I have this already
            4. I have a set of roles and responsibilities I am comfortabel taking on

Financial Arrangements
            1. Company will pay direclty into my business bank account
            2. I am companies house and VAT registered for the business
            3. I currently also sell equipment through my companies house - which doesnt take a lot of my time and is managed
            4. All my accouning is done through Quickbooks Online and submit quarterly VAT returns on goods I buy and sell for a profit

Questions:
            1. I will be doing a fair amount of mileage - the mileage will be captured and accounted for using quick books at standard mileage rate - this is my personal car I use for business use - is there anything I need to be aware of legally?
            2. I intend to raise invoices (without VAT) on my quickbooks and reconcile my transactions without VAT - therefore it does not reportable for VAT return - it this ok? I will not be issuing invoices to my company as the management company will already do this and are responsible for it. They are not expecting a VAT invoice from my either.
            3. I intend to do all future purchases required for my business use through my companies house - this include sustenance, entertaining, fuel, IT equipment, tools and even some subcontractors to manage some of my projects while I am working for this role
            3. I intend to then do a monthly payroll for the minimum I need for my expenses as I want the business to keep growing finanically - I am aiming to cut down on my tax payable. As the company is registered as a Ltd and not a sole trader, would I be liable for the higher tax band when I take out funds?
            4. Is there anything I can do to cut down on my taxes but still being compliant
            5. I currently have a mortgage as my main property, but will be hiring out a workshop/office space under companies house - Is there anything I need to be aware off?

Keen to see what people think and to let me know what I need to be aware off when I start this role end of this month.

By "agreed roles and responsibilities you're happy with" do you mean, agreed a statement of work specifying the services your company will provide?

Do you have Status Determination Statement with regards to IR35?

Comment

By the way, new contract, new

Comment

Hey guys, I think i've hit the holy grail - but I need some basic advice.
                My first piece of basic advice is use a bleeding spell checker for absolutely everything when you are working for the client.

1. Role is outside IR35
                Is it really? You have an SDS from the client in your mit? If you haven't you might get a nasty surprise come first pay run. The fact it's 18 months starts alarm bells ringing.
                2. I will be paid weekly - timesheet based via a company[
                A company? What does that mean? You misname a load of entities throughout your post so you need to take more care and understand who is who.
                - they take a comission weekly from the employer
                From who? They are NOT your employer. If they are then you are NOT outside. Again, learn who they are, what you do and use the right terminology.
                - so when I work - they get paid as well and I dont pay them anything extra for the role
                You never do, that's not how contracting works.
                3. The role is available for 18 months
                It's not really. There are notice periods and even they don't mean anything. They can stop paying you on the spot if they want to. It's in the contract (which you've read and fully understand of course?). Don't assume it will last the full 18 months. It can end in a day if it has to.

4. I have a set of roles and responsibilities I am comfortabel taking on
                Another flag to your IR35 status. An employee has roles and responsibilities. You as a contractor should have a clearly defined work schedule of what you will deliver. That's what keeps you outside. R&R like a permie doing the same job as permies puts you inside. You don't get a builder in to build a garage based on a set of roles and responsibilities do you. You get him to build you a garage to detail specs.

1. Company will pay direclty into my business bank account
                Which company. There are three in the chain. The client, the agent and your LTD.
                3. I currently also sell equipment through my companies house
                Through your companies house? What on earth is that supposed to mean?
                4. All my accouning is done through Quickbooks Online and submit quarterly VAT returns on goods I buy and sell for a profit
                Get an accountant pronto. You are potentially dealing with 100's of K of income and 10's of K of tax and vat. Get a professional.

1. I will be doing a fair amount of mileage - the mileage will be captured and accounted for using quick books at standard mileage rate - this is my personal car I use for business use - is there anything I need to be aware of legally?
                You need business insurance if you are travelling on business. If the client is in the same geographical area as you already work in/commute to you could fall foul of the 24 month rule. This kicks in when you can reasonable assume you will be there for more than 24 months so with an 18 month contract you could already be busted and not be able to claim a single penny.
                E.g. If you've been working in Manchester city for 6 months and then get this gig for 18 then you've been in the same geographical location for 18 months so it becomes your permanent place of work and no expenses allowed at all. This covers a fairly wide area as well. A move from East Manc to West Manc isn't going to be a significant change so you are still caught.
                2. I intend to raise invoices (without VAT) on my quickbooks and reconcile my transactions without VAT - therefore it does not reportable for VAT return - it this ok? I will not be issuing invoices to my company as the management company will already do this and are responsible for it. They are not expecting a VAT invoice from my either.
                Get an accountant.
                3. I intend to do all future purchases required for my business use through my companies house
                Through your what??
                3. I intend to then do a monthly payroll for the minimum I need for my expenses as I want the business to keep growing finanically - I am aiming to cut down on my tax payable. As the company is registered as a Ltd and not a sole trader, would I be liable for the higher tax band when I take out funds?
                Get an accountant
                4. Is there anything I can do to cut down on my taxes but still being compliant
                Get an accountant
                5. I currently have a mortgage as my main property, but will be hiring out a workshop/office space under companies house - Is there anything I need to be aware off?
                Yes, this is a bad idea. If you had an accountant they would explain it. Just claim £6 per week from your LTD as per EIM01476. Very very few of us rent space as it's difficult to justify and overly complex.
                Keen to see what people think and to let me know what I need to be aware off when I start this role end of this month.
                Cross absolutely everything you have because it's not uncommon for gigs to evaporate when waiting a long time for them to start.

Oh, and get an accountant.
                Last edited by northernladuk; 11 March 2022, 16:34.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  £5k for contractor insurance???
                  Yup, I agree with Lance. I paid £231 to Kingsbridge last month for my company's annual insurance, which includes:
                  * Public Liability (£1,000,000)
                  * Professional Indemnity (£1,000,000)
                  * Employers Liability (£10,000,000)

What does your (meetpomo's) insurance include for that 5k?

Comment

Working...
                  X