• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[OFFICIAL] Ukraine Thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Did someone mention that certain government ministers and an MP for Windsor and Maidenhead have been banned from Russia?

​​​​

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ss-ben-wallace
    Russia’s foreign ministry has banned Boris Johnson, Liz Truss, Ben Wallace and 10 other British government members from entering the country.

The ministry said the decision was made “in view of the unprecedented hostile action by the UK government”.

Dominic Raab, Grant Shapps, Priti Patel, Rishi Sunak, Kwasi Kwarteng, Nadine Dorries, James Heappey, Nicola Sturgeon, Suella Braverman and Theresa May have also been banned.

“London’s unbridled information and political campaign aimed at isolating Russia internationally, creating conditions for containing our country and strangling the domestic economy” were responsible for its decision, the ministry said.

“In essence, the British leadership is deliberately aggravating the situation around Ukraine, pumping the Kyiv regime with lethal weapons and coordinating similar efforts on the part of Nato,” it added.

In March, Moscow imposed a similar ban against the US president, Joe Biden.
    Oi! I got there first!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Oi! I got there first!
      Sorry!

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
        Oh, how times change!

I remember watching "Threads" back in the mid 80s, then wondering quietly to myself when the actinic flash would happen.

A mere 35 or so years later, during my daily stagger, wondering quietly to myself when the actinic flash would happen. ..
        It's getting more likely each day. If NATO keeps resupplying Ukraine with arms, I reckon a "demo" warning blast, over the sea somewhere, is quite on the cards.

edit: 2022-04-17 Putin orders silos to be opened - RS-28 Sarmat launched due to Moskva sinking

That site looks a bit dodgy, but I guess we'll soon see if this report is accurate

Russia is reported to be launching a test launch of the RS-28 (15A28) Sarmat ICBM, which will replace the Soviet R-36M2 Voyevoda missile.

It is noted that the US again canceled the test launch of the ICBM LGM-30G Minuteman III ("Minuteman-3").

According to Russian information, by April 24, a Sarmat ICBM test launch will take place from Plesetsk in the Arkhangelsk region with the final destination being the Kura training field in Kamchatka.

It is worth noting that this information was leaked to the Russian media immediately after the loss of the Moskva cruiser.

The Russians note that there is no reason to follow the example of the US, which canceled the test launches of Minuteman III twice in March and April of this year under the fictitious pretext of "non-escalation" of the situation. Launch is only necessary for a complete re-equipment.

The Sarmat can carry a weapon load of up to 10 tons with 10 heavy or 15 lighter MIRV warheads or 3 Avangard (HGV) multi-sounding missiles or a combination of all of the above.

It has countermeasures to deal with enemy air defense and is not easily detected by US surveillance and defense systems.

Sarmat was specifically designed to penetrate any current or future Ballistic Missile Defense (BMD) system.

According to some estimates, the impressive range of the missile reaches 18,000 kilometers.

Finally, the launch preparation of the RS-28 Sarmat system is less than 60 seconds using a highly automated system which means that in a short time it can be fired to hit the enemy. ..
        Last edited by OwlHoot; 17 April 2022, 16:37.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

You don't "get yourself" they aren't chattels its "You can help".

Some men are driven by their Dicks!
          Hello ... did you call me?
          Last edited by Whorty; 17 April 2022, 17:22.
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            It's getting more likely each day. If NATO keeps resupplying Ukraine with arms, I reckon a "demo" warning blast, over the sea somewhere, is quite on the cards.
            If you Google it, Russia has been issuing warnings for weeks now of "unpredictable consequences" if the West continues sending weapons to Ukraine.

You can only cry wolf so many times before the other side concludes you're FOS.

I have to say my estimation of Putin as a top tyrant has gone way down. He ain't that much different to Fat Boy in North Korea with his fireworks.
            Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

If you Google it, Russia has been issuing warnings for weeks now of "unpredictable consequences" if the West continues sending weapons to Ukraine.

You can only cry wolf so many times before the other side concludes you're FOS.

I have to say my estimation of Putin as a top tyrant has gone way down. He ain't that much different to Fat Boy in North Korea with his fireworks.
              I actually think the difference between Putin and the little fat boy, is the little boy can have you eaten by his pet dogs ... whilst Putin is almost certainly not 100% in control and I'm sure there are enough in his circle that could do him in if he goes too far.

Seems those dictators where it's a family set up are far more dangerous than those 'voted' in.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Heavy fighting on all fronts.

Javelins and NLAWs are helping a lot

This isn't 2014.
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This

Comment

Nope. We know they've got the ammunition. A demo wouldn't do anything. If they use tactical nukes, it'll be for a specific military objective. Perhaps a children's hospital or something.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Nope. We know they've got the ammunition. A demo wouldn't do anything. ..
                    In theory that's right, of course. But in practice, it might give the neocons pause for thought ..
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

In theory that's right, of course. But in practice, it might give the neocons pause for thought ..
                      Why? As NAT says, all Putin would be doing is demoing what every knows he has already ... and the risk is, the demo goes wrong (misfires, a squib) and that would make Putin a laughing stock. Not worth the risk for him - if he uses one, it's because he's using it, not just for a demo.

Love your deflective term of 'neocons' too ... use a negative word to make out it's the US that's wrong here, and not Putin

I'm not a fan of the US right, but this time it's definitely Putin that is doing the killing .... nice try though

Comment

Working...
                      X