• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[OFFICIAL] Ukraine Thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

In 2018 the Ukrainians declined to renew the Russian-Ukrainian Friendship treaty, originally signed in 1997

According to that Wikipedia article, they claimed the reasons were the Russian annexation of Crimea in 2014 and Russian support for separatists in Ukraine's Donbass reason, and they were supported in their decision by "Western allies within the UN security council".

The separatists' various grievances against the Ukrainian government are described here. Some sound justified, others not so much.

As many in Ukraine's Azov battalion apparently wore the same insignia as members of the Nazi SS Das Reich division (practically the worst of the lot, in the Waffen SS anyway), it's a fairly safe bet that they might not always have been on their best behaviour with Donbas separatists!

We've all heard the rumours about Putin having thyroid cancer, and I heard he'd had brain surgery, but who knows for sure?
    As you get your news from obscure youtube channels, Sputnik and RT I recommend to read more MSM and get an better idea about Ukraine, AZOV and life in general

Comment

Even the MSM talks about the far-right Azov battalion. Are they some sort of militia group that got folded into the army proper? At the moment I think Ukraine will take anyone who wants to fight for them but this does sound a slightly weird bunch to say the least.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Yeah I've heard some less than favourable rumblings about the Azov but it seems to be quietly swept under the carpet. I remember something about much of the social media content coming from them.

Comment

Azov started out as a group of far right people, that's 8 years ago when Russia first invaded Ukraine, they have grown out to a much wider group in the mean time. Keeping their Nazi like symbols was not very smart of them. Russian propaganda keeps going on about the far right element (their usual whataboutism). Not saying there aren't any far right elements anymore in Azov but it certainly has been diluted.
          Unfortunately Azov is being used as an example that all Ukrainians are nazis by the Muscovians and gullible people like OwlHoot pick only this element up.
          It would have been better to dismantle the Azov battalion some time ago, I agree

Comment

It's about time sane people should stop take for real anything that Russian propaganda says, they are proven liars.

It's not a sign that makes one a Nazi - it's the intentions and especially actions that align with what Nazies would have done that makes one a Nazi - just like this "Z" sign that Russia took at propaganda sign (despite it being alien to Cyrillic characters), Z is very close to S, which SS is what Nazies used - but it does not even mattter if they used a Cyrillic sign or something neutral, it's the actions that count.

One battalion of Azov (which is a regiment made up of a number of battallions) is fighting to death to defend their city from unprovoked Russian attack - is that Nazi-like? Plus 5-6 times more Ukraine fighers fight with them (two marine brigades, local police, border guards and just local citizens) - as it was said above Azov is maybe 1% fraction of total defense force overall. UKIP got far hgiher vote in this country, never mind "National Front" - existence of which gave no legal or moral right for anybody to invade this country and level cities here.

Everybody in Ukraine is Azov now - apart from Russian invasion collaborators
            Last edited by AtW; 20 April 2022, 21:56.

Comment

Attacks pulled back from Azov-steel plant

Comment

Hey Vlad, any chance you could launch a WMD or something because I could do with a really big distraction right now. Cheers, Boris
                Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
                  Hey Vlad, any chance you could launch a WMD or something because I could do with a really big distraction right now. Cheers, Boris
                  It does make our bickering about the PM eating a piece of cake at work seem really rather trivial.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

It does make our bickering about the PM eating a piece of cake at work seem really rather trivial.
                    we aren't, just adjusting to our PM being a criminal
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

we aren't, just adjusting to our PM being a criminal
                      A fixed penalty isn't a criminal offence. And you've had about 6 months to adjust, the fine doesn't change anything we already knew.

Comment

Working...
                      X