• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[OFFICIAL] Ukraine Thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

Just to add:
    Romania is taking in all refugees that turn up including pets. Many people putting them up in their own homes.
    Bulgarian nationals and Brit ex-pats offering free accommodation.
    Both Governments issuing automatic work permits and free medical treatment.
    UK will need to do far more in the coming days, ditch visa requirements, facilitate transfer etc.

Comment

I have written to my MP to ask what she's doing to ensure that Ukrainians are welcomed into the UK and whether she's willing to challenge Priti Patel on this. I also wrote to the London Assembly asking if they will lead by example and ensure that any Ukrainians who can get here are welcomed.

It takes five minutes to send a note via the Write To Them website.
      Last edited by ladymuck; 27 February 2022, 15:38.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        I liked that Liz Truss said she was fully supportive of any UK people wanting to travel to Ukraine and volunteer to fight alongside them.
        Yes she did didn't she lol
        https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-60544838

Well I have to say G-JABS is ready, and ready for takeoff to bomb the blighters. I just need to pop down to my local Esso garage to top up with molotov cocktail bombs <joke>

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
          I just need to pop down to my local Esso garage to top up with molotov cocktail bombs <joke>
          Yeah, I'm more of BP person myself.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            I liked that Liz Truss said she was fully supportive of any UK people wanting to travel to Ukraine and volunteer to fight alongside them.
            Over on Twitter, someone said that she hasn't really thought this through:
            Alan Trench on Twitter: "Oh dear. Has our esteemed foreign secretary @trussliz not thought through the legal implications of this under the Foreign Enlistment Act 1870? It's probably unlawful." / Twitter

Comment

Who says anyone is going to formally enlist in a foreign army? I think someone is taking a sound sentiment and finding a way to nit pick.

She specifically didn't say "go and enlist in the Ukrainian army". She said if people wanted to volunteer to fight then she didn't have an issue with it. I feel she was quite careful about what she said.

Comment

People went off and fought for ISIS. ISIS are the enemy.

People go off and fight for Ukraine? Knock yourselves out - Ukraine is not our enemy. Putin is.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Is there a way out of this for Putin?

The parallels with Hitler are spooky. Ironically, it was the invasion of the Soviet Union where everything started to unravel for him. Ultimately he only had one way out holed up in his bunker . Had he had nukes though...

What is it with our species? Having lived nearly 60 years on this planet, I'm no closer to understanding what the f**k is wrong with us.

Actually I should rephrase that. What the f**k is wrong with men. Virtually all violent crime is perpetrated by men. Virtually all serial killers are men. Virtually all dictators and despots are men.

The world would be a far safer place if only women were allowed to hold offices of power.
                  Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Some good coverage here
                    https://www.rferl.org/
                    &
                    https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-ukrai.../31726586.html

I like the quote of the babushka, "I feel ashamed, I voted for this government"
                    Last edited by Paddy; 27 February 2022, 19:56.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Big storming of Kyiv expected, don't think they'll wait one more day because tomorrow ruble is going in deep tulip and most likely hard currency accounts will be frozen.

Comment

Working...
                      X