• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[OFFICIAL] Ukraine Thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

Maybe they ought to adopt the HMRC APN approach: seize now, argue later.
    Exactly that.

Comment

Total destruction of Russian convoy NW of Kyiv. https://twitter.com/666_mancer/statu...HKk9lK5EfnpZaA

Comment

Putin orders russia's nuclear deterrent forces to be on 'a special regime of duty'

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
          Putin orders russia's nuclear deterrent forces to be on 'a special regime of duty'
          Yeah just flashed up on my phone.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
            This suggests to me that he thinks intimidation is the only tool he has left in his armory - there's no way even he would risk using them.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
              I don't know how professional the Russian army are, or whether their hearts and minds are truly in this, but they won't be anywhere near as motivated as the Ukrainians. As the Americans found out in Vietnam, strength in numbers and superior firepower are no guarantee when you're up against people defending their own country.
              Some parts of the Russian Army are well equipped and trained. Most of the Army are made up of teenage conscripts and leadership is very poor. Once their CO is knocked out, the entire unit is in chaos. These teenage conscripts have not experienced the Soviet Union and have no compulsion to fight their neighbours; this is a miscalculation by Putin.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post

This suggests to me that he thinks intimidation is the only tool he has left in his armory - there's no way even he would risk using them.
                Why do those sound like "famous last words"?
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Putin puts nukes on high alert
                  Turkey triggers 1936 Montreux Convention

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle...ar-2022-02-27/

Click image for larger version

Name:	boy-that-escalated-quickly-ron-burgundy.gif
Views:	128
Size:	3.55 MB
ID:	4206801
                  First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

I liked that Liz Truss said she was fully supportive of any UK people wanting to travel to Ukraine and volunteer to fight alongside them.

Whilst I am frustrated there are no UK boots on the ground in Ukraine, I also completely understand why we have not sent forces there. Putin is clearly unstable and I dread to think what he'd do if any NATO country sent troops in. Supply of armaments is absolutely the right thing to have done and to keep doing for as long as necessary. I have no doubt that unofficially we are giving way more support with a few crack units helping out.

The next thing is to offer all Ukrainian passport holders a two year visa to live and work here, effectively immediately. Priti Awful is wrong when she says we can't accommodate them.

I loved Kyiv when I was there in 2019 and I look forward to returning to see more of the country once Putin has been kicked out.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      I liked that Liz Truss said she was fully supportive of any UK people wanting to travel to Ukraine and volunteer to fight alongside them.

Whilst I am frustrated there are no UK boots on the ground in Ukraine, I also completely understand why we have not sent forces there. Putin is clearly unstable and I dread to think what he'd do if any NATO country sent troops in. Supply of armaments is absolutely the right thing to have done and to keep doing for as long as necessary. I have no doubt that unofficially we are giving way more support with a few crack units helping out.

The next thing is to offer all Ukrainian passport holders a two year visa to live and work here, effectively immediately. Priti Awful is wrong when she says we can't accommodate them.

I loved Kyiv when I was there in 2019 and I look forward to returning to see more of the country once Putin has been kicked out.
                      Just to add:
                      Romania is taking in all refugees that turn up including pets. Many people putting them up in their own homes.
                      Bulgarian nationals and Brit ex-pats offering free accommodation.
                      Both Governments issuing automatic work permits and free medical treatment.

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                      X