• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[OFFICIAL] Ukraine Thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Even most of it isn't made there -

https://www.axios.com/russia-vodka-b...adab4cb1f.html

Some liquor stores and bars in the U.S. and Canada are taking Russian vodka off their shelves in protest of President Vladimir Putin's military invasion of Ukraine.
    The latest: Utah Gov. Spencer Cox (R) issued an executive order on Saturday evening "requiring the Utah Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control to remove all Russian-produced and Russian-branded products from its shelves immediately," per a statement from the governor's office.
    The Americans aren't the brightest, remember the "Freedom Fries" debacle?
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

Putin won't like that.

I wonder if there's anyone high up in Russia (eg. in the military) who could take Putin out if he ordered a nuclear strike?

That's my fear if things are going badly for him; that he might do something really desperate.
      It’s possible; for all the cynical calculation, he’s also revealing himself to be a bit of an unstable dullard. The central bank measures are probably going to hurt; potential severe run on the rouble this week. If pressure does increase at home, things will get more unpredictable. Still, feck him. Appeasement won’t work.

Comment

I'm hoping Turkey closes the Black Sea to Russian warships.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/r...ssian-warships

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan didn't tell Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky that Turkey would close the Bosphorus and Dardanelles straits to Russian warships, a senior Turkish official told Middle East Eye on Saturday.

"President Erdogan didn't promise to close the straits," the official, who is directly familiar with the call, said. "Turkey hasn't made a decision to close the straits to Russian ships yet."
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I don't know how professional the Russian army are, or whether their hearts and minds are truly in this, but they won't be anywhere near as motivated as the Ukrainians. As the Americans found out in Vietnam, strength in numbers and superior firepower are no guarantee when you're up against people defending their own country.
          Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Germany just announced that they will be spending more than 2% a year on defence, currently 1.4%, big increase in real terms. Strategically, not going well for Putin.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              Germany just announced that they will be spending more than 2% a year on defence, currently 1.4%, big increase in real terms. Strategically, not going well for Putin.
              About time - Trump warned that more NATO countries needed to increase their defence spending.
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

About time - Trump warned that more NATO countries needed to increase their defence spending.
                Belated, but you've got to give them credit for overturning several decades of policy positions almost overnight. Nord Stream 2, gone. Arms sent to Ukraine. Meeting 2% NATO target. These are big moves for Germany, so fair play to them. UK needs to follow up with Londongrad.

Comment

UK needs to follow up with Londongrad.
                  Definitely, although I don't know how easy it is to identify who owns what when most Russian assets are held by a web of offshore companies.
                  Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

Definitely, although I don't know how easy it is to identify who owns what when most Russian assets are held by a web of offshore companies.
                    UK supposedly legislating this week. US announced a taskforce overnight to help with unpicking the web; the US is well known for being super aggressive with financial institutions that don't cooperate fully, so that will make a big difference and scare a lot of intermediaries that are complicit in hiding wealth. Won't be easy, especially with our legal system, but I hope they go big.

Comment

UK supposedly legislating this week. US announced a taskforce overnight to help with unpicking the web; the US is well known for being super aggressive with financial institutions that don't cooperate fully, so that will make a big difference and scare a lot of intermediaries that are complicit in hiding wealth. Won't be easy, especially with our legal system, but I hope they go big.
                      Maybe they ought to adopt the HMRC APN approach: seize now, argue later.

Comment

Working...
                      X