• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So, anyone watch the F1 yesterday?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post

The difference is that he left primarily due to tax reasons just as he was about to start earning proper money.
    isn't he one the largest UK taxpayers?

It is also claimed that HMRC’s UK Income Tax Liabilities Statistics, published in 2019, put Hamilton among the top 5,000 highest tax payers in the UK.

Hamilton told the Sunday Times in 2014: “What people don’t realise is that I pay tax here [in the UK], but I don’t earn all my money here.

“I race in 19 different countries, so I earn my money in 20 different places and I pay tax in several different places, and I pay a lot here as well. I am contributing to the country and, not only that, I help keep a team of more than 1,000 people employed. I am part of a much bigger picture.”
    Will Lewis Hamilton get a knighthood? F1 star's tax status is 'misunderstood', claims Motorsport UK chief (inews.co.uk)
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Anyway, it is done and dusted. What comes next is about the management of F1 races, not the racing. For the fans, that is still of interest.
      I think they have serious grounds for appeal. Of course there is likely significant pressure to sweep it under the carpet... F1 is having a resurgence of popularity and this season has been a gift for the new management, which they will very much not want to damage.

Next year is a reset. Same power units but totally different aero and tyres. The cars should be a lot closer in race performance which will make things interesting.
      Quite exciting to be honest. Although, Mercedes effectively stopped development this year quite early to focus on next year so we might see them have a big initial lead. That's my prediction anyway. And Lewis and George having a bitter falling out.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I stopped following F1 years and years ago when Michael Schumacher retired, but reading about an english driver losing the title at the last minute is a sweet sweet victory and I could not be happier.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          I think they have serious grounds for appeal. Of course there is likely significant pressure to sweep it under the carpet... F1 is having a resurgence of popularity and this season has been a gift for the new management, which they will very much not want to damage.
          Sort of agree, except the damage has been done. I think the championship will stay as it is, but expect commitments to changes in the Sporting regs to clarify the various inconsistencies we've seen this year. Again, it is the American influence, which has always been to sacrifice absolute rules for the sake of the spectacle. Certainly the European audiences don't want that approach. When Lauda said "Let them race" he did not expect that to be taken as "Let's change the rules as we go along to create a race where there isn't one".

Quite exciting to be honest. Although, Mercedes effectively stopped development this year quite early to focus on next year so we might see them have a big initial lead. That's my prediction anyway. And Lewis and George having a bitter falling out.
          Mercedes put more money into this year's car to overcome their aero deficit, so with the budget cap they probably haven't been all out on next year's one. We shall see, no doubt, come February. I've also read that Russel has been contractually hired as the No 2 driver - at least initially - which won't mean he can't race, merely defer in 50/50 situations. What will happen is that he will be further up the field and more assertive that Bottas - who is as quick as Hamilton until he gets into a proper race...
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

"I help keep a team of more than 1,000 people employed"

Yeah, Merc would fire all of them if another good driver had to drive one of their top cars.

Comment

Should be denied on the basis he had CHOSEN not to be UK tax resident - he could have easily kept UK tax residency if he wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                in the same way that you choose to pay less relative tax compared to a nurse in the UK.
                And what other UK tax resident legal entity would you propose to use when employing 20+ people, dealing with investment, lots of equipment etc?

Ltd was the only viable option, in fact my use of Ltd is exactly what it was meant for, so I reject your suggestion that I've used Ltd to reduce tax.

Comment

Ltd was the only viable option, in fact my use of Ltd is exactly what it was meant for, so I reject your suggestion that I've used Ltd to reduce tax.
                  So take all of your money as salary, paying full PAYE tax with no dividends?

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                    So take all of your money as salary, paying full PAYE tax with no dividends?
                    And what about investors?

Comment

And what about investors?
                      I'm not talking about them, I'm talking about you. But I'll take that misdirect as a tacit admission that you utilise tax avoidance.

Comment

Working...
                      X