• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Butt out of New Zealand

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butt out of New Zealand

Originally posted by BBC News

New Zealand will ban the sale of tobacco to its next generation, in a bid to eventually phase out smoking.

Anyone born after 2008 will not be able to buy cigarettes or tobacco products in their lifetime, under a law expected to be enacted next year.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-59589775
    This caught me totally off-guard in my morning news check. Really a very bold move and to be honest, not one I thought any government would dare try let alone succeed with.

Also an bizarre implementation - depending on your birthdate you will still be allowed to smoke for decades while younger people are not. Quite a way to divide society?

Draconian government overreach or Sensible protection of the population?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

I will watch this with interest, I eventually gave up smoking nearly a decade ago. I wish I had done it sooner. Keeping the kids off tobacco is one thing we can do for their health. Next booze!

Bold authoritarian move...
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I mean what could be worse than them smoking tobacco?

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
        Reading General.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Also an bizarre implementation - depending on your birthdate you will still be allowed to smoke for decades while younger people are not. Quite a way to divide society?

Draconian government overreach or Sensible protection of the population?
          It's an interesting question. I've been addicted to nictotine for most of my adult life, although I did quit cigs almost 20 years ago and went nicotine free for a decade, I somehow relapsed onto the dreaded vape sticks. Bit of a shame those things exist, actually, as I am able to convince myself they are not too bad but I know that I would not have relapsed onto the real thing.

Nicotine represents addiciton in it's purist form, IMO - no real upside, it is all about preventing the downside of withdrawal symptoms at vast financial and health costs (and speaking of financial costs, 20 cigs is almost £20 in NZ and you earn a lot less there - that's £7k a year for a moderate smoker). I'm not sure of the ethics of banning on age, but it is a worthwhile goal - if they could completely eradicate smoking within a couple of generations then that would be a massive win, but then no one has ever been able to manage it with illegal drugs..

Comment

I don't know. Why don't you expand on whatever point you were trying to make?

Comment

Medically very little. It's not even close when comparing tobacco to other legal and less legal drugs and habits.

Comment

Hmm. Prohibition didn't work too well.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  Hmm. Prohibition didn't work too well.
                  In which country?

Of course, if you only ban the young then those in power can continue to enjoy it. Maybe this is a very clever approach Although it sounds like this is being done with the population's endorsement which is rather different than the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    I wonder if that is to protect tax revenue.

The UK collects £10 billion a year tax from fags, if they banned them overnight there would be a lot of lost revenue.

Comment

Working...
                    X