• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Space gain from Chimney Breast removal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, serious answer is going to be between 8 and 24 sqft average.
    You will need planning for this if you are going to remove the stack.
    You will likely require other structural work
    If this side adjoins another property there will be party wall issues
    It is probably not cost effective.
    Former IPSE member
    My Website

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

If he gets the removal wrong, he could be caught in a landslide
      With no escape but if he opens his eyes he'll be able to look up to the skies and see
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
        You're giving a serious answer to a question like this from a professional IT contractor? Really? All he has to do is get a tape measure, and measure with side of the stack from back wall to where it comes to in the room (depth). Then measure one corner to the other at the front (width), and he can calculate the gain in floor space.

Jeeze, if this thread isn't a wind up then I seriously worry how some people get through the day!
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
          Many years ago my the builder recommended me to remove the chimney breast. I said no, and my reason then was you never know when we may need to revert to using a chimney.

A few years later a neighbour was killed when he tried to remove a chimney breast, I was then informed by a structural engineer that when old houses were built built, the chimney breast formed part of the structure.

If you want to remove a chimney breast you will need to apply for building regulations and possibly party wall act notice
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I can't believe no one has posted this :

CUK where breast size is important!!!
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

With no escape but if he opens his eyes he'll be able to look up to the skies and see
              As a contractor of course he's not a poor boy - and does need sympathy.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
                Searched all over the internet to figure out how much internal space will be gained upon removal of Chimney Breast on a Semi-detached 1930's property, but failed to get an idea.

Has any one done it or seen it removed and how much inside space does it provide? I am trying to decide if it is worth doing by comparing Cost vs Space gained.
                Send a small kid up inside the chimney to find out how large it is!

Seriously, have you considered that chimneys may come back into fashion, or be useful for something in future?

(People were ripping out picture rails left right and centre years ago, and I think they came back into fashion.)

edit: Another serious answer, all the brickwork for a chimney typically weighs many tons and removing it will be a huge undertaking and if not done correctly will possibly be quite dangerous to the house and to you!
                Last edited by OwlHoot; 24 November 2021, 14:23.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                  Post some pictures over on https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/ and you'll get your answers.

Could be prohibitively expensive (even more-so if property is two storey) as it'll probably be structural/load bearing.

As for space gain, i too can't understand why it wouldn't be anything other than the bit sticking out of the wall...
                  Thanks Paralytic . Now I understand what many are mocking at . The chimney is at the corner of the 2 rooms, which is protruded at both rooms and both protrusions are uneven. It is located in-between 2 rooms, forming kind of an uneven triangle at the corner of both rooms, going all the way up to the first floor/Loft

Thanks for the site. I will post some pictures.
                  Last edited by BigDataPro; 24 November 2021, 14:01.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

edit: Another serious answer, all the brickwork for a chimney typically weighs many tons and removing it will be a huge undertaking and if not done correctly will be possibly quite dangerous to the house and to you!
                    Ah don't be a wimp - the structural side is one thing, but I knocked down an old extension on a whim! S'just rubble - grab wagon will be your friend

Comment

Update: Probably this will end the thread. Structural engineer visited just now and indicated that the cost will outweigh the space gains. So decided stick to the original plan of kitchen extension without chimney removal.

Thanks for your various valuable opinions though!

Comment

Working...
                      X