• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It's the biggest open secret out there

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's the biggest open secret out there

‘It’s the biggest open secret out there’: the double lives of white-collar workers with two jobs | Life and style | The Guardian

Don't we know it...

Freelance while full time - Contractor UK Bulletin Board
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Two permie jobs would be problematic, as one of them would be on the BR code, presumably.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Two permie jobs would be problematic, as one of them would be on the BR code, presumably.
      Was wondering the same, HR/Payroll would find out based on tax code information they get from HMRC

Comment

Not if one job was contractor outside ir35 and another was perm paye…

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
          I'd even say that's wrong. Despite what we think outside should be it is very very rarely done in your own time and delivered back. Even if it's outside it can't be done in the 8 hour day due to contractual obligations and have to be done in own time. 99% of outside gigs don't deliver that way.

Even if there is a SoW to deliver something and you work on it when you want there is still likely to be a requirement to do it during the workday due to meetings etc in which case it shouldn't be done. There is going to be an element of working on each others time without a doubt.

So even if one was outside and other perm it's pretty rare it can be done properly. If you can't tell both parties what is going on then it shouldn't be happening.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            If you can't tell both parties what is going on then it shouldn't be happening.
            This is the most important part ^^^^^^^^

If you have to keep it quiet then it's probably wrong.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Got sent that article today as I'm known to moonlight.

Wouldn't bother if I was perm, but as a contractor it's fair game.

Comment

Nothing wrong in a part time freelancing contract in addition to your permie job. I've thought about it even before the pandemic.

Last edited by BlasterBates; 16 November 2021, 16:25.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

As long as you're doing it on your own time, not using your employer's stuff.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
                    Yes. That's why I began my post with "Two permie jobs would be problematic". I've highlighted the key word for you. HTHBFIDI
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X