• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

Seriously? Fire up the quattro

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Seriously? Fire up the quattro

    https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/...e-21st-century


    hardly the list I would make.

    We talked about Life on mars, walking dead, person of interest, phoneshop, it crowd, etc but not how tulip fleabag and "I may destroy you" were.

    what do you think?

    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

    I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

    #2
    I think the list from a critics perspective is likely to be very different than from a normal watchers perspective. Many of the ones that were a good brain out watch won't make the list as they don't have hugely complex plots, clever twists, not screen master pieces and everything that a critic would love. Penty on that list I'm just not interested in watching however good and well written they were because I'm looking for entertainment, not how well it's done etc.

    That said I've printed this off as there are a good number on there I've fancied watching and not it's on the list I'll definitely go find them.

    Gotta say Battlestar Galactica stands out for me just skimming that list. I thought it was a really difficult watch and wasn't that impressed with it. Possibly because I remember the first round and they've taken it down the complex plot twist route when I was expecting a good bit of cylon bashing.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      I think the list from a critics perspective is likely to be very different than from a normal watchers perspective. Many of the ones that were a good brain out watch won't make the list as they don't have hugely complex plots, clever twists, not screen master pieces and everything that a critic would love. Penty on that list I'm just not interested in watching however good and well written they were because I'm looking for entertainment, not how well it's done etc.

      That said I've printed this off as there are a good number on there I've fancied watching and not it's on the list I'll definitely go find them.

      Gotta say Battlestar Galactica stands out for me just skimming that list. I thought it was a really difficult watch and wasn't that impressed with it. Possibly because I remember the first round and they've taken it down the complex plot twist route when I was expecting a good bit of cylon bashing.
      Yep there were plenty I didn't enjoy - and apparently by viewing figures neither did others.

      a list of best should be driven by popularity not prejudice.

      I personally found BSG MKII a bad reboot. Mediocre at best.


      "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

      I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

      Comment


        #4
        I stopped watching TV around 2005, I have a license so the kids can watch CBeebies.

        Comment


          #5
          Binge watched Battlestar Galactica after another contractor raved about it in the office, was a bit long at 76 episodes, I binged it over a couple of weeks , the episodes were a bit hit and miss but on balance kept me watching till the end.

          The Gias Balter character was my favorite:

          Last edited by Fraidycat; 21 October 2021, 00:14.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
            I stopped watching TV around 2005, I have a license so the kids can watch CBeebies.
            Best channel ever.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

            Comment


              #7
              Not a big tv fan, but there are some on there I have seen ... loved Fleabag. Loved the Good wife/fight. GoT started well but finished really badly. The Thick of It was one of the best Tv shows ever.

              Just gone through the full list and I've only watched 10 of those shows ... and 2 of those I didn't really watch, Mrs W was watching and I was sitting in the same room reading.

              I need to stay in more and sit in front of the gogglebox (another show I've never seen)
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

              Comment


                #8
                I'm not much into TV either. Only 5 there where I've watched a fair number of episodes. 2 where I've watched a few and gave up. Rest, don't think I've ever looked at. Quite liked Silent Witness, not in list.

                Thinking of cancelling my Netflix subscription, once I've finished watching Still Game.

                PS Wasn't Sherlock a load of tulip!
                Last edited by xoggoth; 21 October 2021, 09:02.
                bloggoth

                If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/...e-21st-century


                  hardly the list I would make.

                  We talked about Life on mars, walking dead, person of interest, phoneshop, it crowd, etc but not how tulip fleabag and "I may destroy you" were.

                  what do you think?
                  Now I think of it, I haven't watched a UK "fictional" series for years, although I do watch Tony Robinson's documentary programs, and Neil Oliver's Coast series.

                  The last drama series I watched was probably the first couple of seasons of Peaky Blinders, which should have won something.

                  I tried Life on Mars, but found its supposedly outdated attitudes absurdly exaggerated, as if to justify its title. It was a bit like the bizarre stilted dialogue in that Jack the Ripper series which would have been more suited for the 1680s than the 1880s! Things weren't _that_ different in the 1970s.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

                  Comment


                    #10
                    If The Curse of Oak Island isn't on that list, then it's not a list worth reading.
                    Click here to come to the CUK Xmas do on 10 Dec! Meet your board heroes!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X