• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A load of hot air?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Do they? If they saw Slough, maybe even the most ardent fan of coming to Engerland would change their mind
    I never suggested they wanted move to the UK that is only a few hundred million in the world who want to do that, the rest want to move to the USA. So few want to move to France or Poland for some reason? No accounting for taste.

But the new rich want to live the good life, that costs the world's resources more than a subsistence existence.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

What if...

Humans are simply doing what they've evolved to do? Just because we're consciously aware of our behaviour doesn't mean we're not destined to destroy. When we've all but wiped ourselves out, the planet will recover and a new dominant life form will arise. All lifeforms live to the limits afforded them by their environment - our environment just happens to be a bit bigger. You're all just delaying the inevitable cycle of life and death of a species.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

...how about people consume less?

Crazy idea, I know, because our economy is reliant on more people consuming more stuff.
        We need to consume less - no argument from me. But currently we probably use more equivalent kwh from gas than electricity in our homes, so if we are going to shift to all electric for everything (which we must) then there's no getting away from the fact that our grid infrastructure is going to need a serious overhaul - and that's probably before we even start thinking about charging our cars as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post

We need to consume less - no argument from me. But currently we probably use more equivalent kwh from gas than electricity in our homes, so if we are going to shift to all electric for everything (which we must) then there's no getting away from the fact that our grid infrastructure is going to need a serious overhaul - and that's probably before we even start thinking about charging our cars as well.
          Agree completely about upgrading the Grid we also need to realise the proper definition is "consume less of the Earth's resources".

We need to do it as a planet as well. We can by switching to renewable power that is clean and plan for more people to use more individually across the world.

There is no point us living in freezing homes if China & India burn coal to supply us with trinkets or to try to keep up with the Jones's.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post

This is the sort of sense negativity WTFH is talking about. Pointing out realistic problems is not going to magically make everything better.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Gosh. According to that site my garden isn't nearly big enough for a ground source heat pump.

Who'd have thunk?
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                Gosh. According to that site my garden isn't nearly big enough for a ground source heat pump.

Who'd have thunk?
                I wonder if I could bury it in my drive, that's about 100m long. Although I don't think that gives me enough power, unless I can lay two.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

More power, Igor!

Master, there is danger!
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I wonder if I could bury it in my drive, that's about 100m long. Although I don't think that gives me enough power, unless I can lay two.
                    That's the sort of negativity that ... speck/plank?

Anyway, yes, you can run multiple lines - either as straight pipes or as slinkies.

…Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      What if...

Humans are simply doing what they've evolved to do? Just because we're consciously aware of our behaviour doesn't mean we're not destined to destroy. When we've all but wiped ourselves out, the planet will recover and a new dominant life form will arise. All lifeforms live to the limits afforded them by their environment - our environment just happens to be a bit bigger. You're all just delaying the inevitable cycle of life and death of a species.
                      There's some sense in this, space is the way out, find some other planet to exploit. Anyway, in the end its all futile as the Sun won't last forever. Neither will the universe, one day it will all be cold again.
                      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Working...
                      X