• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A load of hot air?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

...how about people consume less?

Crazy idea, I know, because our economy is reliant on more people consuming more stuff.
    Are you doing so? Turn your thermostat down a few degrees, wear more jumpers, ditch the car?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post

I think whatever happens going forward, electricity is going to have to get (at least relatively) cheaper, and supplies are going to need upgrading. What happens when we all try to charge our EVs overnight?
      80-100A is plenty for charging your car overnight, apparently 16/32A is common and that doesn't run all night either. If we all switched from gas to electric heating we'd be increasing demand by 10-100X which is not a case of a few upgrades.

So maybe long, long term everything is done via electricity from remote generation but that's a whole other level of infrastructure from what EVs need. So we'd have to have heat pumps or something not just electric CH.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Are you doing so? Turn your thermostat down a few degrees, wear more jumpers, ditch the car?
        I hardly drive anywhere, the thermostat is turned down, when I'm cold I put on extra layers, and when I consider options that might consume less resources, my first thought isn't a list of why it will never work for 100% of the population so there's no point in me even trying.

What about you?
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Got rid of all heating and lighting, no electricity or mains water. Now live in a hole in the ground and eat organic soil as nature intended.

I've done my bit to save every living thing from a painful climate death, have you?
          First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

80-100A is plenty for charging your car overnight, apparently 16/32A is common and that doesn't run all night either. If we all switched from gas to electric heating we'd be increasing demand by 10-100X which is not a case of a few upgrades.

So maybe long, long term everything is done via electricity from remote generation but that's a whole other level of infrastructure from what EVs need. So we'd have to have heat pumps or something not just electric CH.
            Your local supply 80-100A is enough however the grid is already very close to being overloaded if everyone starts charging then it will be overloaded.

Your street may be big enough for all your neighbours to leave for work at the same time (it probably isn't it may need 100+ lanes) but once every car in the UK gets on the motorways its gridlock.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

...how about people consume less?

Crazy idea, I know, because our economy is reliant on more people consuming more stuff.
              Because there are 8 billion people and they all want to live the western life?

We can cut emissions (we have significantly mainly by pushing production to China etc) but world demands are rising.

You will be pissing in a pot while the world floods.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I hardly drive anywhere, the thermostat is turned down, when I'm cold I put on extra layers, and when I consider options that might consume less resources, my first thought isn't a list of why it will never work for 100% of the population so there's no point in me even trying.

What about you?
                Nope. None of that. But since you are the one sanctimoniously preaching about how everyone else should behave, it seemed a fair question. Weird how green types get so passive-aggressive when they are asked about how they live.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  You will be pissing in a pot while the world floods.
                  But at least they're a really happy person.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Because there are 8 billion people and they all want to live the western life?
                    Do they? If they saw Slough, maybe even the most ardent fan of coming to Engerland would change their mind

Comment

Nope. None of that. But since you are the one sanctimoniously preaching about how everyone else should behave, it seemed a fair question. Weird how green types get so passive-aggressive when they are asked about how they live.
                      Please, show me sanctimonious preaching that isn't in response to wailing claptrap.

I find it amusing how those who claim to be religious and quote Psalm 24:1 but take that to mean it is their duty to destroy what God created.

Comment

Working...
                      X