• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Middle Age Spread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

The researchers should just say that BMI is a tulip measurement, and that if someone has type 2 diabetes they need to lose visceral fat and exercise daily regardless of their weight.
    As you have rightly said, BMI is indeed tulip. Here is an excerpt from "Fat Politics" by J. ERIC OLIVER (Oxford University Press)

...For example, between 1980 and 2000, the U.S. Dietary Guidelines (a joint report from the Departments of Agriculture and Health and Human Services) have defined overweight at various levels ranging from a BMI of 24.9 to 27.1.

In 1985, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) consensus conference recommended that overweight be set at a BMI of 27.8 for men and 27.3 for women—by this standard, a 6’ man would be overweight at 205 pounds, a 5’7” woman would be overweight at 175 pounds.

Then, in the 1990s, the World Health Organization (WHO) came out with a recommendation that a BMI of 25 to 29 should be considered overweight and a BMI of 30 or more obese (more on this below). To make the United States consistent with this standard, many federal health agencies and researchers soon began adopting the lower BMI standards, thus creating a confusing set of standards and guidelines.18

Partly to sort through these conflicting measures, in 1988 the NIH convened a panel of more than two dozen experts from the fields of health research, epidemiology, and nutrition to review the “evidencebased” research of the past twenty years. This NIH report concluded that the official designations of overweight should be set at a BMI of 25 and obesity at a BMI of 30, the same standards established by the WHO. Soon, this became the definitive guide for determining what was officially overweight and obese in the United States.

At the time it came out, the NIH report caused a lot of controversy because, overnight, more than 37 million Americans suddenly became “overweight,” even though they had not gained an ounce. What few people noticed, however, was that the scientific “evidence” to justify this change was nonexistent.

According to the NIH report, the classification of overweight at a BMI of 25 was based on the putative linkages to mortality. According to the report, people who have a BMI of more than 25 had “significantly higher mortality” rates than those under 25, but in both the WHO and NIH reports, none of the research really substantiated this claim.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

No need to apologise. I refer to myself as being lardy and having a fat arse most of the time so that's to be expected.
      Bet you can guess I liked that post.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

I am fitter/weigh less than i did at age 21. So, i could fit in the jeans i wore at 21, but they'd be too big for me and end up around my ankles.

Not sure if that means i have a problem, or not.
        oh you have a problem all right !

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

You mean I need to have sex 5 times a day?
          Minutes not seconds!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Minutes not seconds!
            I was including the time to get undressed, and dressed afterwards
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

and being a gent you will cook her a pizza afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

and being a gent you will cook her a pizza afterwards.
                I'll make her a brew, but cooking is for the woman to sort out.
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Does that include taking your socks off?

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post

As you have rightly said, BMI is indeed tulip. Here is an excerpt from "Fat Politics" by J. ERIC OLIVER (Oxford University Press)
                    You forgot that they now change what BMI you should be due to ethnicity

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity...-disease-risk/

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...088-7/fulltext

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

And there was me thinking this was about the feasting habits of nobility in medieval times...

Comment

Working...
                      X