• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

XR now blocking M25

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    You touch on 3 phase because the amount of power you will need for fast charging will be phenomenal. The grid can't cope now, as we add non gas boilers for heating , your boiler uses < 100 watts of electricity when the boiler is actually burning gas, heat exchangers use ~5kw 50 times more where is that coming from?

Wind and solar innit.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Fast charging can be smoothed out rather easily, I reckon.
      I am a big fan of hot-swap batteries but sadly that's never really taken off.

The argument can be made that if you need fast charging you are "doing it wrong" but as touched on that requires a fairly substantial shake up in the attitude to personal transport, which might be slower to achieve than the tech.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

Yes, houses/flats without drives are a bit of a problem.

With the mileage range of EVs increasingly rapidly, if you've got a drive, then charging infrastructure isn't so much of an issue because you can charge overnight from a regular mains socket.

If everyone had a drive then you wouldn't need that many public charging points because most of the charging would be done at home.
        This is only getting worse because new build developments are deliberately built with too few parking spaces for modern families to disincentivise car ownership (at least in some areas). And how many home charging stations can charge 3 cars anyway?
        In cities this is probably not a major problem TBH, they can install charging infrastructure on residential streets in London, etc. Out in rural areas, villages typically have people crammed on every pavement (the villages pre date mass car ownership) and the council aren't supposed to endorse that.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

This is only getting worse because new build developments are deliberately built with too few parking spaces for modern families to disincentivise car ownership (at least in some areas). And how many home charging stations can charge 3 cars anyway?
          In cities this is probably not a major problem TBH, they can install charging infrastructure on residential streets in London, etc. Out in rural areas, villages typically have people crammed on every pavement (the villages pre date mass car ownership) and the council aren't supposed to endorse that.
          Charging issues aren't insurmountable but, as vetran says, the bigger problem is grid capacity. If cars and homes are to switch from fossil fuels to electric, then we need a lot more of it.
          Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Charging issues aren't insurmountable but, as vetran says, the bigger problem is grid capacity. If cars and homes are to switch from fossil fuels to electric, then we need a lot more of it.
            Distribution or generation? How much does usage vary between peak and off-peak times these days, i.e. if we could optimise every joule available how much would be still be short?
            Agree it's likely a problem although infrastructure is being added daily. Of course the drive to end household heating dependence on gas is not going to help.

Comment

Distribution or generation? How much does usage vary between peak and off-peak times these days, i.e. if we could optimise every joule available how much would be still be short?
              Good questions. Charging cars overnight would certainly be a good use of off-peak, although obviously not solar power.

Comment

Good questions. Charging cars overnight would certainly be a good use of off-peak, although obviously not solar power.
                Solar with battery storage works.
                One of the current solutions on solar is to charge the batteries and then divert excess to heat the hot water tank.
                I am in the process of getting plans drawn up for a new garage. Based on the calculations from a professional, if I do one side of the roof as solar, it will generate over 3x our daily usage per day in the summer. (and probably 1.5-2x in winter). That's just based on one side of a garage roof.
                Do the whole house and you could charge multiple cars easily.

It also goes back to the comment about people re-thinking personal transport. Does someone need a car with 600 mile range per day if you only do a journey of that length maybe once a year (or less)?
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Wind and solar innit.
                  For generation definitely, a charge model that supported intermittent charging would work with tidal, wind & Solar.

Getting it to your house is a challenge the grid must be balanced and adding 20-50% more capacity to it to charge electric cars and heat exchangers might blow its age old cables up.

https://www.energuide.be/en/question...-balance/2136/

Making hydrogen out of excess energy is now an easy way of balancing the grid. Storage of green energy is a big issue.

https://www.carboncommentary.com/blo...25%20efficient.

Alternatively smart meters with remote load control (central controlled economy 7) would be a better way, if all else fails EV chargers that can be controlled by the grid. None of those are currently being talked about.

If had a supply that heated storage heaters / hot water cheaper than gas I would use less gas. All I need is a smart meter with controllable outputs.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    If had a supply that heated storage heaters / hot water cheaper than gas I would use less gas.
                    That would take a huge cut in the price of electricity. Currently, electricity is 21p/kWh and gas is 4.5p/kWh. I was surprised to discover that economy 7 isn't all that much cheaper than standard electricity.

https://nottenergy.com/resources/energy-cost-comparison

Or a massive hike in the price of gas.

Comment

Agree it's likely a problem although infrastructure is being added daily. Of course the drive to end household heating dependence on gas is not going to help.

Both but as above the grid has to be balanced awe need somewhere to usefully dump the excess energy when the wind blows too hard and some way to stop everybody putting their EV on charge at 6pm.

https://grid.iamkate.com/

You can see here the spikes and Gas power stations smoothing them, if we had an adjustable load we could ramp up nuclear (takes a long time to spin up) and drop gas usage.

The generation can be green if we can manage the spikes and troughs.

In house batteries work for the house with them but we can't fit all our houses with double glazing or insulation so thousands of pounds of batteries in every garage may not be achievable. Also after a power outage all the batteries need charging so the demand would be 1.5 times normal for a few hours unless all of them have solar. Experts are already warning battery recycling is very problematic.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X