• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

XR now blocking M25

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
    I am sure no one would be so supportive if they were on the way to a meeting/interview they missed; they missed their flight; they missed their hospital appointment; missed seeing family etc
    Educate yourself!
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

All this "We must do something to make ourselves green" furore never seems to touch on the TCO of "greening up emissions" though do they.

Don't they realise the damage that is done above and beyond what is already being done to the infrastructure of the planet with their cockeyed brainwave ideas for cutting down "emissions"? Because all this "green" has to come from somewhere, either quarries, wood sources, chemical producers, deep mined resources etc. All of which are usually transported using deisel or the dirtiest variant of fuel oil in use if it travels by container ship... Even electric cars cause more damage to the planet than petrol ones ever did if you look at the resources that have to be garnered to manufactiure one.
      Plus the huge cost of laying feed in supplies for them, underground materials and rare earths (derv machinery again) copper wire (quarries) plastic fittings for the chargers (petrochemical industry) digging trenches (petrochemicals again and concrete, one of the biggest CO2 producers on the planet) need I go on?

Protest is pointless unless you have a fully costed and proven solution.

I presume they all walked to the place of protest, or used horses or bicycles, wouldn't want to pollute the planet getting to the protest site would they?

My Grand parents marched from Jarrow to demand the kinds of things these thugs are trying to destroy.
      Last edited by Lost It; 13 September 2021, 12:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
        All this "We must do something to make ourselves green" furore never seems to touch on the TCO of "greening up emissions" though do they.

Don't they realise the damage that is done above and beyond what is already being done to the infrastructure of the planet with their cockeyed brainwave ideas for cutting down "emissions"? Because all this "green" has to come from somewhere, either quarries, wood sources, chemical producers, deep mined resources etc. All of which are usually transported using deisel or the dirtiest variant of fuel oil in use if it travels by container ship... Even electric cars cause more damage to the planet than petrol ones ever did if you look at the resources that have to be garnered to manufactiure one.
        Plus the huge cost of laying feed in supplies for them, underground materials and rare earths (derv machinery again) copper wire (quarries) plastic fittings for the chargers (petrochemical industry) digging trenches (petrochemicals again and concrete, one of the biggest CO2 producers on the planet) need I go on?

I presume they all walked to the place of protest, or used horses or bicycles, wouldn't want to pollute the planet getting to the protest site would they?

My Grand parents marched from Jarrow to demand the kinds of things these thugs are trying to destroy.
        See above, horses require vast amounts of feed and those multi stomachs produce emissions and as for shoeing them, well. Bicycles have to be manufactured. Even cavemen had a fire, how far back shall we go, I know big bang - 1 pico second.
        But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

You mean like Rosa Parks? She'd got a fully fleshed out transport plan in her handbag?

Good golly what an utterly absurd thing to say.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

It makes a lot of sense to join these road blocking protests when on the bench. Hopefully if enough benched contractors are blocking working contractors, those working contractors will be terminated, bingo, more opportunities right there.
            First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              You mean like Rosa Parks? She'd got a fully fleshed out transport plan in her handbag?

Good golly what an utterly absurd thing to say.
              hmm no she didn't have full plan but she had a point as above it seems no one here does.

https://www.thehenryford.org/explore...if/rosa-parks/

Now her successors had a dream!

Apparently InsulateXR don't have a clue.

Insulating homes is being done. Both in Rented by legislation and in Private by grants. Maybe they should move faster I mean updating the entire countries rental stock in 4-9 years is really slow in global terms.

My last 3 homes had cavity wall insulation fitted, from memory it cost a subsidised £400 in my last home. I had government subsidised insulation for my loft bought from B&Q etc.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/apply-fo...s-grant-scheme

Or do we have mandatory work so some builder can paint my walls with petrol?

There are so many things we could do to save the planet including asking suppliers to be greener. After the B word we could do this and lead the world.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

In my job we use wood that comes from sustainable resources.
                We use tarmac that can be recycled again and again, and upcycled if necessary into other products.
                We use vehicles powered by derv to get people to work that usually are crewed by more than one person. If it's a large infrastructure job some of us use crew buses. You see them on the motorway every day. Can't get much more efficient than a mini bus full of workers.
                We only build new things that pass very specific energy saving specifications (called Breeam if you wish to look it up).

Even the concrete we use can be recycled into many kinds of materials, crush, type one, pretty much anything even though it's a chemical reaction it makes a very hard material that can be used for so many tasks on a building site. You can even use it to build roads.

We use pipes now made from steel that is mostly remanufactured rather than virgin mined copper, there's so much reclaimed steel around it would be daft not to use it. OK it's heavy and it's thermal properties aren't brilliant but it's freely available.

So the industry has been "going green" as far as it can for many years. But getting these materials to site, well that won't ever be green it that sense I suspect. Electric lorries won't catch on if half the kerb weight is taken up by batteries. And they can't drive more than 200 miles. The average 32 tonner does star ship mileage through it's working life. Figure it out, 55mph for 8 hours a day every day... Call it 400 miles a day easy. Doesn't take long to start knocking up real fuel use.
                And if you hold a mixer truck up for any great length of time all you will have will be a 7 cubic meter brick... They are mixed with a desired delivery time in mind, it can be retarded a bit but many times loads are refused because they are past delivery slot.
                And where, exactly, do they think this insulation actually comes from? Grown by insects? Comes down with the sunlight?
                But more importantly...
                Blocking a motorway in protest potentially costs billions. Costs lives. Costs that can't ever be recovered. The powers that be ought to put them on Gruinard and let them try living with no modern conveniences.

People like this occupy a place lower than whale poo in my scheme of things.
                Last edited by Lost It; 13 September 2021, 14:07.

Comment

I'd have done what that van did early on - drive round them. Everyone should buy a 4x4 gas guzzler...
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Blocking a motorway in protest potentially costs billions. Costs lives. Costs that can't ever be recovered.
                    Don't be so ridiculously melodramatic.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
                      It makes a lot of sense to join these road blocking protests when on the bench. Hopefully if enough benched contractors are blocking working contractors, those working contractors will be terminated, bingo, more opportunities right there.
                      That's already happening...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ccelebrities24970612-0-image-a-3_1582192908973-655x410.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	4182312
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X