• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More deaths than...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F-I-L worked at AZ
    So a company this is making £B's on one product, immunising those who are already immune, thinks that it should keep pressure up as the the Treasury has a bottomless pit of money?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

It was a virologist from one of the universities on LBC& GBnews.

so don't you think there is a transition point where the cost of lockdown does more health damage than Covid?

Its coming soon we should be planning.
      Oh OK so when you said "according to the scientists" you actually meant "according to one scientist on LBC". This is like my crazy friend who is constantly passing on Facebook posts about Covid being a hoax, masks being ineffective, vaccines killing loads of people... which she has been sent by "my friend a surgeon".

I don't think the scientific community have a consensus view, is my point. Clearly at some point things have to change and I wouldn't agree with those who get vaccinated then still live in fear and want everyone to lock down because "there's still a risk". Personally I think we're on a knife edge right now. Opening up right now is basically accepting we let kids and teens achieve herd immunity and act as a colossal virus reservoir. We paused Phase 4 due to rising Delta cases, two weeks on and cases are far higher so my fear is there could be another twist coming. All it takes is a variant that evades the vaccines and we are back to 1000+ deaths a day and total lock-down which would be a death blow to the economy.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Oh OK so when you said "according to the scientists" you actually meant "according to one scientist on LBC". This is like my crazy friend who is constantly passing on Facebook posts about Covid being a hoax, masks being ineffective, vaccines killing loads of people... which she has been sent by "my friend a surgeon".

I don't think the scientific community have a consensus view, is my point. Clearly at some point things have to change and I wouldn't agree with those who get vaccinated then still live in fear and want everyone to lock down because "there's still a risk". Personally I think we're on a knife edge right now. Opening up right now is basically accepting we let kids and teens achieve herd immunity and act as a colossal virus reservoir. We paused Phase 4 due to rising Delta cases, two weeks on and cases are far higher so my fear is there could be another twist coming. All it takes is a variant that evades the vaccines and we are back to 1000+ deaths a day and total lock-down which would be a death blow to the economy.
        The scientific community are not known for consensus. The scientists didn't demand closing travel routes at the beginning, they didn't shout about closing care homes and other at risk places to infection. Those are standard practice for dealing with any serious virus outbreak. they didn't insist we isolate the infected in the Nightingale hospitals.

One assumes LBC checks their guests bona fides. The data about cause of death came from that well known fixer of figures the ONS.

As previously we have failed to plan easing lockdowns and haven't had all the benefits.

50% of under 30s are now vaccinated. Deaths are falling it seems we are approaching the tipping point. Testing volume is many times other countries we are looking for infections.

We could vaccinate the whole population if we wanted in next 3 months. Yes we could find a new variant but so far all the variants have responded to the vaccine. The great majority of patients hospitalised (97%) are not vaccinated. The deaths are not common among the vaccinated.

We could stay in lockdown but other health issues are soaring and the NHS backlog is immense.

It definitely time to talk about it. Maybe we restrict the non vaccinated and leave them in lockdown? Maybe we open up a little and test more?
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          So temporary relaxation of worker hours and increasing training. seems reasonable, if only the hauliers had planned earlier.

So long as the wages are set at higher rate tax level to reflect the skill shortage I'm fine with it going on the shortage list.
          In the meantime in real world -

"Shortage of lorry drivers raises spectre of empty shelves

Chronic driver shortages are resulting in food not getting through to small businesses and supermarkets, while demand is rising

Corner shops across the country have put up signs in windows to warn customers that they are running low on stock.

At the heart of the problem is a chronic shortage of lorry drivers, which threatens to upend other industries and lead to bare shelves this summer."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...empty-shelves/
          Last edited by AtW; 4 July 2021, 08:30.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

In the meantime in real world -

"Shortage of lorry drivers raises spectre of empty shelves

Chronic driver shortages are resulting in food not getting through to small businesses and supermarkets, while demand is rising

Corner shops across the country have put up signs in windows to warn customers that they are running low on stock.

At the heart of the problem is a chronic shortage of lorry drivers, which threatens to upend other industries and lead to bare shelves this summer."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...empty-shelves/
            Hey there are a few threads not contaminated by the hauliers complaining no one wants to work for the crap wages they pay. Leave this one alone.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
            X