• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Half of London Companies plan for remote working 5 days a week

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Half of London Companies plan for remote working 5 days a week

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-06-21/half-of-london-companies-plan-for-home-working-five-days-a-week?srnd=premium-europe

Looks like the Tube will become superfluous. This is not good for train drivers.
    I'm alright Jack

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    In what way?

Train drivers are cheaper than the other option as automation costs real money (which tfl no longer has any of).
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The tube will have to become more expensive to retain normal service levels or reduce its level of service if there isn't sufficient demand for it but it's very, very unlikely that train driver jobs will go through automation.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        This is not good for train drivers.
        Good news. Union negotiates big redundancy payments for them.

Then in a few years when these companies realise 5 day work from home wasn't such a good idea, and the tube drivers get re hired.

Comment

non paywall

https://www.bloombergquint.com/onweb...ve-days-a-week

luckily our old friend Tony B'Liar is now worried about all of our jobs being offshored.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Good news. Union negotiates big redundancy payments for them.

Then in a few years when these companies realise 5 day work from home wasn't such a good idea, and the tube drivers get re hired.
            Doesn't help if most of them have retired....
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

the article is misinformation, I don't think the companies intent to allow remote working for long. Most of them that I've spoken over the previous few months have been at least 1-2 days on site.

Contract will be vague as well and once you are in bed with them they'll prod you to come on site.

Unless it is in the contract, they are not planning in committing to it and only use it for now to justify the lower salary.

Comment

If enough good employees feel strongly enough about maintaining WFH, then I expect at least some companies to offer it as a free (or even negative cost) way of attracting staff. Of course, that was true before the pandemic as well, but maybe - just maybe - some companies have had their eyes opened a bit to the reality that WFH can be just as effective as on site. For it to really happen though, people that really want to WFH are going to need to make some noise about it when asked to go back, and even follow through on threats to leave. Likewise they'll need to make sure that WFH is enshrined contractually when taking on a new role. I'm sure we won't see the majority of IT companies go full time WFH, but I'm also pretty sure we'll see a lot more WFH opportunities after the pandemic than before.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  In what way?
                  Les trains per hour will be needed

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Les trains per hour will be needed
                    Public transport doesn't work like that - cut train numbers and usage can drop significantly.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X