• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Half of London Companies plan for remote working 5 days a week"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by edison View Post

This is very true. A lot of people in their teens and 20s are also petrified at the thought of having to phone someone they don't know.
    I've enjoyed being in offices and telling them to go up to talk to a person....

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post

I wonder about this , myself - I'm also a Gen-X'er.

But current 20 year olds seem to communicate BETTER over technology, than face to face.

From what I've witnessed with the recent graduates that I've worked with, is there seems to be some kind of innate suspicion or fear of "randoms" (People who are not connected to them in any way via social media).

The team I work with for one client has never even met in person, they are 100% slack / video conference people and they have built an incredibly robust application that's selling really well. Other than the CIO, I dont think a single member is over the age of 28! (I feel VERY old)
    This is very true. A lot of people in their teens and 20s are also petrified at the thought of having to phone someone they don't know.

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    Originally posted by edison View Post

As an early Gen X'er, I absolutely agree. There are very polarising views on whether remote working or office working is more effective for developing collaboration and innovation and which is more effective to deliver business outcomes. However, in my view, building relationships, learning office politics, learning about influencing, developing communication and presentation skills, these are all things better achieved face to face, especially in the early part of one's career.

If I was in my 20s today, I would want to be in the office at least 3 days a week to help develop my career, at least for the first couple of years.
    I wonder about this , myself - I'm also a Gen-X'er.

But current 20 year olds seem to communicate BETTER over technology, than face to face.

From what I've witnessed with the recent graduates that I've worked with, is there seems to be some kind of innate suspicion or fear of "randoms" (People who are not connected to them in any way via social media).

The team I work with for one client has never even met in person, they are 100% slack / video conference people and they have built an incredibly robust application that's selling really well. Other than the CIO, I dont think a single member is over the age of 28! (I feel VERY old)

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Tony B'Liar
    Even the staunchest of Tory supporters such as yourself - how can you use a Liar slur with the current PM in position?

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I think there's a few Boomers still clinging on

I am inclined to agree that WFH doesn't help younger entrants into the workplace. There's lots of on the job training that you miss out on, overheard conversations, etc.

I remember when I got my first proper job and it was in an open plan office with the managers sitting in their own offices around the outside edge. Us grunts (me being the baby of the bunch) all had our own specific jobs but I could have asked any one of them for help on demand. I learnt a heck of a lot about office politics, areas of the business that I didn't directly work with, who was sleeping with whom (the company was rife for that), and got the opportunity to build relationships with a whole heap of people that I would never have met had my job been 100% WFH. It stood me in good stead when I took over from my manager to run the small department I was in. I could walk into the CEO's office and demand a signature because I knew them and their PA.

It depends on your role and position within the company but I do think being in the office is crucial to early career development. Now I'm an old crotchety windbag, no-one needs to see me in office
    As an early Gen X'er, I absolutely agree. There are very polarising views on whether remote working or office working is more effective for developing collaboration and innovation and which is more effective to deliver business outcomes. However, in my view, building relationships, learning office politics, learning about influencing, developing communication and presentation skills, these are all things better achieved face to face, especially in the early part of one's career.

If I was in my 20s today, I would want to be in the office at least 3 days a week to help develop my career, at least for the first couple of years.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

Experience is far more easily shared in person, as are personal relationships. They don't even need the social side, just face-to-face business relationships.
    Only if you are older.

Young people are the internet generation so as long as they have at least one excellent face-to-face friendship network outside work, they can cope with a remote work one.

I've had to train younger people since 2015 remotely and it's harder for me in terms of introducing them to people remotely than face-to-face. Luckily most people in the workplace are nice to people under 25.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

Even Froid said that most of the energy is sexual in nature. So cheers to that.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Que?

I know it is about professional development however the social side gives you a network to help with the development.
    Experience is far more easily shared in person, as are personal relationships. They don't even need the social side, just face-to-face business relationships.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    I learnt a heck of a lot about <snip> who was sleeping with whom (the company was rife for that)
    ...got the opportunity to build relationships with a whole heap of people

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

It's not about the social side, it's professional development. It's a lot harder to inspire the next from your own home.
    Que?

I know it is about professional development however the social side gives you a network to help with the development.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied

No it is tedious when the same poster does it again and again and again and again.....
    think I am running out of ideas. And it still seems to stir up people so slightly fun. But in reality I don't have any feelings towards that generation. Most of my problems are because of myself. I need a hobby.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied

I'm related to and know younger workers who are happy to work at home and don't want to return to the office.

They do however want to go out and about, and travel.

This is because they are aware of working for a company being transitory so don't rely on their colleagues for their social life.
    It's not about the social side, it's professional development. It's a lot harder to inspire the next from your own home.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    it's the constant blaming of one generation for the perceived ills of the other that's funny. It's almost like each generation hasn't blamed the previous generation, and these millennials are special somehow.
    No it is tedious when the same poster does it again and again and again and again.....

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

I'm not defending WFH .... I'd much rather be in the office too with colleagues ... it's the constant blaming of one generation for the perceived ills of the other that's funny. It's almost like each generation hasn't blamed the previous generation, and these millennials are special somehow.
    I know I should have separated my first sentence from the rest of my waffle but was too lazy

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied

I think there's a few Boomers still clinging on

I am inclined to agree that WFH doesn't help younger entrants into the workplace. There's lots of on the job training that you miss out on, overheard conversations, etc.

I remember when I got my first proper job and it was in an open plan office with the managers sitting in their own offices around the outside edge. Us grunts (me being the baby of the bunch) all had our own specific jobs but I could have asked any one of them for help on demand. I learnt a heck of a lot about office politics, areas of the business that I didn't directly work with, who was sleeping with whom (the company was rife for that), and got the opportunity to build relationships with a whole heap of people that I would never have met had my job been 100% WFH. It stood me in good stead when I took over from my manager to run the small department I was in. I could walk into the CEO's office and demand a signature because I knew them and their PA.

It depends on your role and position within the company but I do think being in the office is crucial to early career development. Now I'm an old crotchety windbag, no-one needs to see me in office
    I'm not defending WFH .... I'd much rather be in the office too with colleagues ... it's the constant blaming of one generation for the perceived ills of the other that's funny. It's almost like each generation hasn't blamed the previous generation, and these millennials are special somehow.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X