• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dreams of Working From a Beach Risk Turning Into a Tax Nightmare

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post
    The key to being a digital nomad is not working 2 months a year in another country and 10 months in your main country of residence. That's more like a working holiday.

Idiotic article.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
      you guys are impossible. you saw that you could not win the argument and then turned it into a personal affront.
      No we have quietly supplied stats that prove £100k salary makes you better off than 98% of the population. As London is about a sixth of the population plenty of people are living in London on much less than £100k.

My Brother used to live in London on less than £100k he had a couple of nice flats over shops (not serving kebabs) in Battersea and Camden and always counted himself lucky.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

People like Gigi are personally affronted when you use facts in your arguments.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          No we have quietly supplied stats that prove £100k salary makes you better off than 98% of the population. As London is about a sixth of the population plenty of people are living in London on much less than £100k.
          A single bloke or even a couple 50K salary is ok. A 100K salary will give them an extra 2.5K a month, so they can afford to invest.

For a family of say 5 on 100K that extra 2.5k gets spent on the family, you wont have much left over to invest unless you absolutely live like a miser/tyrant and skimp on everything (and many people do)

And with just 50k pre tax salary to raise to a family in London you wont have the option of living like a miser or not, you will be forced to.
          Last edited by Fraidycat; 18 June 2021, 09:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

A single bloke or even a couple 50K salary is ok but they will be living pay check to pay check in London. A 100K salary will give them an extra 2.5K a month, so they can afford to invest.

For a family of say 5 on 100K that extra 2.5k gets spent on the family, you wont have much left over to invest unless you absolutely live like a miser/tyrant and skimp on everything (and many people do)

And with just 50k pre tax salary to raise to a family in London you wont have the option of living like a miser or not, you will be forced to.
            And yet you have all these families in London with kids on these sort of salaries who go on holiday every year, have a takeaway once or twice a week (maybe more), etc. Hardly a miserly existence - growing up we'd have thought they were tremendously wasteful to fritter away so much. But then my family were always frugal, or tight to be more accurate

If you're spending £500-800 per month per child, that's your choice. If you consider each child having their own XBox and TV in their room to be essential, no wonder you're barely scrimping by!
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

If someone feels their 50K salary does not support their lifestyle of choice in London, then they should choose to either move out of London, or choose not have a family.

It's a choice, and some people just seem to be incapable of facing the consequences of their own choices.

Comment

A single bloke or even a couple 50K salary is ok but they will be living pay check to pay check in London. A 100K salary will give them an extra 2.5K a month, so they can afford to invest.

only 2% of earners earn >£100k 5% of earners >£50k

13.4% of the UK population lives in London.

Now even if all top 5% earners lived in London (we don't) then at least half of Londoners live on under £50k.

A couple earning £50K are in the top 26% of earners.

According to you and Gigolo then half the population of London are queueing up at soup kitchens.

We could if I wanted live on £40k total pay and have a reasonably survivable level of existence. We have a mortgage less than £1000 now. I do the calculation regularly because feeding the pensions and savings are a key objective. Saving tens of thousands annually is something we try to do.

I consider myself lucky being personally well in the top 5% of earners and having been there for decades. I have never been in the top 2% (£100k) but I don't feel poor.

Your big problem is housing cost. Now the government has to build enough dwellings in places people want to live in as the population increases over the last 30 years governments have failed to do this. Houses are now expensive in London.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

If someone feels their 50K salary does not support their lifestyle of choice in London, then they should choose to either move out of London, or choose not have a family.

It's a choice, and some people just seem to be incapable of facing the consequences of their own choices.
                  This
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Most of the arguments in previous arguments say: you are entitled. Stop complaining.

Why don't you do the math here? Cost of rent / food / other expenses / childcare, see for yourself. 100k is dogsh*t.

This is the perfect example when millennials and gen z say they don't want to work because salaries are too low and the economy no longer makes sense for them and Gen X and Boomers loose their tulip as they have to retire.

100k is about £400pd in an outside role. Would you take that? Of course not you hypocrites.

Click image for larger version

Name:	images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLpaX_PKgXqDkHopAd4puS5bn6L8ev762kug&usqp=CAU.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	4168333

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
                      Most of the arguments in previous arguments say: you are entitled. Stop complaining.

Why don't you do the math here? Cost of rent / food / other expenses / childcare, see for yourself. 100k is dogsh*t.

This is the perfect example when millennials and gen z say they don't want to work because salaries are too low and the economy no longer makes sense for them and Gen X and Boomers loose their tulip as they have to retire.

100k is about £400pd in an outside role. Would you take that? Of course not you hypocrites.

Click image for larger version

Name:	images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLpaX_PKgXqDkHopAd4puS5bn6L8ev762kug&usqp=CAU.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	4168333
                      oh, FFS! - just bugger off somewhere else you whingeing, whining, miserable twat!

Comment

Working...
                      X