• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dreams of Working From a Beach Risk Turning Into a Tax Nightmare

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

It's not screwing hard working families that you don't get benefits when you have moderately high income. However, I would 100% get behind the ability for spouses to pool their income/tax allowances. The ability to shift a bit of your allowance is fairly meaningless at these levels.
    its a matter of opinion - child benefit is for children and 5% of your earnings once you go to higher rate with kids seems a bit harsh.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

I would not say even the middle class. Middle class no longer exists. It's just the working poor and ultra rich.

A lot of people would like to think of themselves as middle class and intellectuals. The matter of fact is they are actually none. They are 3 months away from living on the street, haven't read a book in a year and believe in all the nonsense mainstream media is selling them. Which makes them as thick as mince.
      so you are the Ultra rich?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

so you are the Ultra rich?
        it does not serve in any way to the argument but no, I am not. Ultra poor here. but I am not gullible enough to close my eyes to what is happening around me. I am a miserable git but I know that I am right.

Comment

it does not serve in any way to the argument but no, I am not. Ultra poor here. but I am not gullible enough to close my eyes to what is happening around me. I am a miserable git but I know that I am right.
          so sub £20k earnings? Those are poor!

Comment

2 people earning 25k is 3.4k net. 1 person earning 100k is 5.5k. difference is not that large BUT:

"If either you or your partner has an income of more than £60,000 a year before tax, you will have to repay all of your Child Benefit as Income Tax"

AND

after 100k you lose free childcare:
            https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.u...efit-from-2013

" The government will pay for 30 hours of childcare per week for children between three and four years of age.
            Free childcare isn’t available where either you or your partner have adjusted income over £100,000.
            "
            https://bhp.co.uk/news-events/blog/h...the-same-time/

why are you old farts still defending the current system when it is a farce. because if has done for you so well over time but now has made the society uninhabitable?

I would have left to be honest if there was a better place to go in Europe...

5.5k net in london to raise a family is dogtulip. you'd be lucky to afford to put £500 aside. want to save for a house? LMAO, you could only dream.

and if you save on food and buy only the low costs ones(which you will definitely do with that income), some takeaway (because you'd be working A LOT) you'd be lucky not to develop a condition by 55. YOU are what you EAT.
            Here's a thought .... if you can't afford kids, then don't have kids.

As for this old fart, I have no kids so have never 'benefitted' from these benefits. I've also paid in to a tax system that gives children free education and lots more, so do you think I should be asking for a refund as I don't think I should be subsidising the fruit of your loins?

Cousin of mine, early 30's, has been working for a London based finance firm since uni. He lives in Reading and commutes to London every day. Got married last year and had his first kid. He had a small house in Reading, recently bought something bigger. I never hear him complaining about his small salary and he's on nowhere near £70k let alone £100k

Stop whinging mate. If you're not doing well then it's down to you, no one else. Others in your peer group seem to be able to make a go of it.
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Nonetheless you'll still have to do 1-2h commute from outside london that on top of 8-12h work
              This is what I was doing in my 30's, on top of doing my MBA part time. Mrs W was doing the same and she had a chronic illness to deal with too but never feckin complained.

In my 20's I was studying for my accountancy quals, in my own time, whilst working long hours with a 1 hour commute each way. Again Mrs W was doing the same for her professional exams.

It's what people do if they want to be successful and have the freedom to choose what work to do, and where to live, when they get to their 50's.

Nothing I have, and I'm sure 90% of the other guys on here are the same, was given to me. I have worked damn hard over the first 20-25 years of my career to get where I am. Problem is, you want what we have at age 50, but whilst you're still at age 30 - you seem to want to miss the hard graft bit. Sorry to burst your bubble fella, but that's unlikely to happen.

Stop spending your time whinging on here, get some work in, build up your CV, and you never know, you may even start to feel good about yourself.

Comment

you guys are impossible. you saw that you could not win the argument and then turned it into a personal affront.

just because you have lived your entire life by those rules, you have believed in them and are supposed now to "rip the benefits" of putting the hard work it does not mean that you are right.

good for them the people that are happy to do as told and are please with their compensation. I still stand by my argument, 100k in SE is dogsh*t.

if for a change we would have had an proactive conversation maybe we would have had the chance to leave an impression on people and change things.

the current world is a farce and the previous generation accepted it and now is worse than ever but people are still expected to do as told and not complain. it is a farce.

btw... she is probably doing around 20k per day... so apparently society values here a lot more than probably all the readers here combined. as I said, farce. https://m.twitch.tv/indiefoxx

and to lighten the mood a bit:

Click image for larger version  Name:	034052a771a53d291aa0b6f8bcdbf6588db06932859  ef199bd8174ea041c371e_1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	102.0 KB ID:	4168251

Comment

...whine...
                  Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                  ... just grow up. The world does not owe you a living;[
                  Exactly this.
                  to paraphrase BR14, if you're not happy with the UK society/market/wages/whatever, then instead of constantly whinging, just bugger off to a society where you will be happy...
                  Chronic whiners blaming the previous generations are never happy.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

you guys are impossible. you saw that you could not win the argument...

Whiny and deluded. Great mix.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

you guys are impossible. you saw that you could not win the argument and then turned it into a personal affront.
                      You only see it as a personal affront because you have View A and everyone else has View B. It's not personal, it's just that no one agrees with your view. What do you want, everyone to say "well done Gigi, you're right and we're all wrong?". Do you want a little prize just for competing? Sorry fella, but the worlds not like that - if your view is opposite to others you can either accept that you're probably wrong, or use a good argument to convince others that you're right. Throwing your toys out the pram is not going to work.

I still stand by my argument, 100k in SE is dogsh*t.
                      You can stand by it, but it doesn't mean you're right.

As an aside, presumably as you won't take these 'low' salaries and contracts as you need more than £68k net to live in the SE, then you must have millions stashed away somewhere to live on? Else, you seem to be living down there just fine at the moment on a lot less than £67k net.

What you mean is you can't live on that salary with the lifestyle you want. That is completely different and may well be true. So again you have 2 choices: 1) Adjust your expectations and lifestyle choices 2) work out how to earn the kind of money yo need to live the lifestyle you think you deserve (maybe get the girlfriend to start up an OnlyFans channel

if for a change we would have had an proactive conversation maybe we would have had the chance to leave an impression on people and change things.
                      See my first point at the top ... we are being proactive, we just think you're wrong. Problem is, 'proactive' for you seems to mean we all agree with you even though we think you're wrong. You see how your argument falls down there?

the current world is a farce and the previous generation accepted it and now is worse than ever but people are still expected to do as told and not complain. it is a farce.
                      People do complain, en-masse, when they want change. BLM, G7 protests, climate change etc etc Happens all the time. You live in a free country, you are more than welcome to start up a campaign to protest about salaries below £100k being too low. Instead of whining on here, go and do something about it; stop hoping us contractors (who don't forget, are quite a selfish lot and only think of ourselves else we'd be in permiedom being good company boys and girls) start a revolution for you.

Our, and don't forget, if suddenly every at the bottom earns £100k, that just means everyone in the middle and top start to earn proportionately more. And 'things' start to become more expensive (you have to pay for the extra cost of production/service somehow), inflation flies, the pound is devalued etc etc etc You get my drift.

HTH? Have a nice day

Comment

Working...
                      X